Disturbed conditions of FBN

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dana
I went in my LFS where I am now a regular as my sons have ventured into the world of saltwater fish tanks. They've had a sign on an empty tank for months saying FBNs for sale. After speaking to them, they said they'd trade newts for marine fish and I gave the excuse that they weren't all aquatic, yet, as I prefer to give/sell them to our members rather than see them in the pet trade.

I later learned that there are no tops on the tanks and I told the owner that the newts will climb out, which he acknowledged, and said it was one reason he no longer carried them.

Well, on Sunday, we went in for our usual visit and one of my sons said, "Hey mom, there's a newt in here w/ the turtles!" I was shocked, ran over there, and sure enough, there was. I immediately told the employee (owner wasn't there) that it was a species mixing disaster (he replied, "Oh, yeah, I think he already got his foot nipped...") To make matters worse, they have a HEAT lamp on the tank. I'm pretty horrified.

The other employee assured me they'd move him right away - I said, "They need COLD water and you need a top on the container w/ some land in there.."

What would you do if nothing's changed next time I'm in there? I threatened, in a joking way, to turn them over to the Caudata org. police which embarrassed my 11 year old, though he was lecturing them on the guidelines for the species w/o the threat.

Sorry if this is off topic. I'm not sure what to do. I hope it's rectified by now and that they don't tell me he sold if he perished. I felt like buying him, I mean, what's one more? But, I know the demand business, etc.

Dana

Did the employee seem receptive to your suggestions? I would call later and try to get the owner on the phone and explain that you're looking out for the welfare of the animals, etc.

Joking aside, threats rarely work (unfortunately). Even if you stopped doing business there, other people won't over 'just a newt'. And there's the old adage that you catch more flies with honey.

Alternately, if the little guy sits there for a bit, maybe talk to the owner about rehoming him. I would be like "no one's bought him, and he's starting to get sick, and you don't want a sick animal in your store that would upset people" etc.

The one employee, that I know better, did seem receptive while the other gave the comment on the turtle already biting the newt's foot. As I left I said, "Ian, now go find something and put him in the coolest spot you've got." He said, "Yeah, I will - I'm thinking I have a large bowl in the back..." So, we will see. I get troubled easily in the matters of animals...hence the children's WOW! club (Wild Over Wildlife.)

Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back