DIY Aquarium pieces?

HP12300

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm starting to set up my aquarium for my future Axies, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in making their own aquarium decorations. I wanted to make a couple different hides and a shelf or two. I found a couple of people who've made things from sculpey, and painted them with standard acrylic paint, which I know is fish safe, but would it be safe for Axies?

After the tank is done cycling, I'll probably throw some in there and test all the levels anyway, but it'd be time saving if someone else with experience could give me some tips before I dive in.

I wanted a couple of wall hides where you can see into the hide from the side of the tank, sort of like in reptile tanks, so I also was wondering what sort of sealants wouldn't be toxic, so I can put magnets in them.

I'm also very interested. I have a 3D printer and want to design and print some decorations. I've read so far that the most important part is to use non-colored filament so the nasty dyes won't leach into the aquarium. That leaves me with white or clear, so any suggestions on painting and sealing would be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back