DIY Canister filter... any thoughts?

wow you are a seriuos diy'er. I'm not gonna lie its been way too long since I've looked at overflows, and my last few I decided to make recently didn't turn out so hot. i think you're definatly farther ahead in this department than I am, and therefore probably know if it's correct more than I would, but I think the overflow box process you said sounds about right.

Thanks Carson! Turns out I didn't need all those compartments, :p but it works!
Thanks for all you help and for getting me onto sumps, Carson- they are the way to go!
Also: Looking good Morphy! I say go for it! How are you pumping the water up to the filter? How much of a rise would it be?

Last edited:
Thanks Carson! Turns out I didn't need all those compartments, :p but it works!
Thanks for all you help and for getting me onto sumps, Carson- they are the way to go!
Also: Looking good Morphy! I say go for it! How are you pumping the water up to the filter? How much of a rise would it be?

I reckon there are 2 options, one would be to use a small low powered water pump or alternatively I might have a go with the airlift again. Since dismantling my classroom aquariums I've now got a very beefy air pump for aerating ponds going spare which might be able to power the lifting. I'm also thinking I could house the airpump and trickle-down all in a box that's lined with sound absorbing foam.

All still at the ideas stage at the min though, I havent even shown the Missus my ideas yet and she has very definate ideas about things like boxes, wires and tubes and their place in the living room :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back