DIY Fake Wood (for cheapskates)

This is genius. Unfortunately, I don't think I would be able to get ahold of a torch, otherwise I would definitely make a couple of hollow logs. Thanks for the simple, informative DIY guide. Hopefully I'll be able to use it in the future...

You can get a little torch for about $20 at a home center. I'm definitely going to try this, thanks for posting it Johnny!

I think the gray and black PVC look great, I wouldn't even bother with paint! These are super, Johnny!

You can get a little torch for about $20 at a home center. I'm definitely going to try this, thanks for posting it Johnny!

One of those industrial heat guns (like a super overpowered hair dryer) used for stripping paint works well too, for those of you that would prefer not to work with open flame.

Johnny,

Have your tried to heatroll the pipe out into a sheet? I am thinking you can "weld" sheets together to make a pretty snazzy aquarium background.

I skipped the heat rolling and tried it out with a sheet of PVC...it works!
Pipe is easy to get and cheap, sheets are a bit harder to find (and pricier).
I think for simplicity's sake, I will stick to cork bark and acrylic fortified concrete for backgrounds though.

So Cool! I wish I could do that, but sadly I am not that artistic. Personally, I think you should start selling these puppies!! I would pay for them!!

Hi
I saw this and it was such a great idea I had to try it.
I got some pipe about 3 inch diameter and ground away it turned out pretty good I thought for a first try only one problem is that it floats? You said that yours does not float am I doing something wrong? Anything would help
Thanks Joe

Thats a fantastic idea, i have just bought 2 metres of piping aswell so might get busy and try afew like this!

I am using black PVC pipe. Im pretty sure its PVC. We use it on the farm for irrigation and storm water.

If it floats, it is definitely not PVC. Most likely it is low density PET or the like.

I would solve the floating problem by gluing a few rocks to it around the bottom.

Impressive bits of pipe you got there! I want one for Gomez!

Absolutely inspiring! I have a dremmel, and an industrial heat gun! Guess I just need the PVC pipe and I'm ready to roll! I love my dremmel, and I'm always looking for new uses for it. Thanks for the awesome idea! Yours look great. I will also send you an email because I would love an original "SludgeMunkey" piece or two in my collection. :D

You're a genius, and I'v officially made you my new hero! you wouldn't happen to be selling these would you?

Hi Johnny!
Quick question: what acrylics are safe to use? I've started with umber, white and black, but if safe, i'd like to add into that some red and yellow oxide to create a bit more depth in some of the areas :)
(oh, and used some 1inch diameter to make some (unpainted) hides for the juvies- they LOVE THEM!! So thanks soo much for posting this!!)

Hi
I saw this and it was such a great idea I had to try it.
I got some pipe about 3 inch diameter and ground away it turned out pretty good I thought for a first try only one problem is that it floats? You said that yours does not float am I doing something wrong? Anything would help
Thanks Joe

A lot of larger diameter schedule-40 PVC pipe is cell-core (solid PVC inside and outside veneered around a foam middle layer) and is buoyant. Schedule-80 should always be solid.

Caitie- avoid cadmium reds and yellows. Iron based ones should be fine.

They are amazing. Are they smooth enough for the gills of an axolotl?? If so have you considered selling them. I do not have the skill and I cannot find anything I like in the stores for less that 30.00. So please let me know if you want to sell a couple.

Miki:eek:

UPDATE!

Here are some more pieces. These are made from 6 inch pipe, carved and heat-warped. This time the PVC is black rather than gray, but it still works great! I also coated these with a spray on epoxy sealer that has "sand" in it. This adds additional texture to the "wood".
3813988601_b797b4039e_b.jpg

Here is the same pieces with the first couple of coats of paint:
3814801590_c3169cb4fa_b.jpg
Your skills are impressive!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back