Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DIY Hammock

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
Does anybody have any good plans for making an Axolotl water hammock. They don’t look very complicated to make considering their retail cost. Dollarshop materials from the look of it.

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
plastic craft mesh, fishing line and suction cups?
I picked up some of that mesh yesterday to cover my new aquarium partition (the crate holes are too big to keep my corries separated from my Axys.
What's the fishing line for? It sounds kind of dangerous to be using.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
To tie the craft mesh to the suction cup

Why do you have tropical fish a.k.a. corydoras with cold water axolotls? major danger and totally different temps needed

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
To tie the craft mesh to the suction cup

Why do you have tropical fish a.k.a. corydoras with cold water axolotls? major danger and totally different temps needed
The aquarium water temperature this Summer is 25-28C on average (using fan cooling), suitable for both. I didn’t think far enough ahead for Winter yet, but I do have a second smaller tank. Summers are long here in Japan.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Axolotls are 15-18 degrees - prolonged time at 20 and above leaves them susceptible to a whole host of issues including inappetance, ascites, uncontrolled floating, fungus (saprolegnia), slime coat issues and more.

The aquarium water temperature this Summer is 25-28C on average (using fan cooling), suitable for both. I didn’t think far enough ahead for Winter yet, but I do have a second smaller tank. Summers are long here in Japan.

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
Axolotls are 15-18 degrees - prolonged time at 20 and above leaves them susceptible to a whole host of issues including inappetance, ascites, uncontrolled floating, fungus (saprolegnia), slime coat issues and more.
I think the Axolotls here in Japan have been bred for higher temps because all of the ones I’ve seen in shops are in non-chilled tanks.
Anyways, Summer is ending so I’ll get to see if there’s any +changes in them as the water cools naturally.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Oh dear, you really can’t keep them at that temperature. You can’t breed them for higher temperature. You need to separate immediately. Preferably the corys, it will be much easier. But all I know is you HAVE to get one out immediately and put in a tub with 100% daily water changes. 25-28 c is not suitable for them at ALL. They need to be kept at least 18c

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
Oh dear, you really can’t keep them at that temperature. You can’t breed them for higher temperature. You need to separate immediately. Preferably the corys, it will be much easier. But all I know is you HAVE to get one out immediately and put in a tub with 100% daily water changes. 25-28 c is not suitable for them at ALL. They need to be kept at least 18c
25-28C is fine for Corys.
Yes, the Axys are not in an appropriate range, but they’ve tolerated that for several months and Summer is now ending.
I don’t have my pair to breed. I haven‘t even bothered to check for gender yet, and I’ve noticed some Youtubers not making such a fuss about Summer water temperatures.

Murk

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the keyword here is prolonged.

I will readily admit I have similar temperatures during hot summers.
But Dutch summer lasts two weeks. After that, it's back to the cold.

But your summer lasts months, and that's dangerous.

Higher temperatures are absolutely survivable, for short times.
Aquarium stores do indeed often put axolotls in warm tanks, because the axolotl will only be there for a short while (and frankly, plenty of aquarium stores aren't taking the best care of their axolotls).

So you'll probably be fine for the next coming months, but for next summer I would strongly consider buying something to keep temperature down.
Strong, healthy axolotls can handle a bit of heat - but the longer it lasts, the more vulnerable they'll be to stress and illnesses.

(Also, apologies for hijacking the hammock-thread. DIY Hammock sounds like an awesome idea!)

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the keyword here is prolonged.

I will readily admit I have similar temperatures during hot summers.
But Dutch summer lasts two weeks. After that, it's back to the cold.

But your summer lasts months, and that's dangerous.

Higher temperatures are absolutely survivable, for short times.
Aquarium stores do indeed often put axolotls in warm tanks, because the axolotl will only be there for a short while (and frankly, plenty of aquarium stores aren't taking the best care of their axolotls).

So you'll probably be fine for the next coming months, but for next summer I would strongly consider buying something to keep temperature down.
Strong, healthy axolotls can handle a bit of heat - but the longer it lasts, the more vulnerable they'll be to stress and illnesses.

(Also, apologies for hijacking the hammock-thread. DIY Hammock sounds like an awesome idea!)
You’re absolutely right.
I already have my eye on one of these for next Spring...

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
25-28C is fine for Corys.
Yes, the Axys are not in an appropriate range, but they’ve tolerated that for several months and Summer is now ending.
I don’t have my pair to breed. I haven‘t even bothered to check for gender yet, and I’ve noticed some Youtubers not making such a fuss about Summer water temperatures.
I didn’t mean breed yourself, I meant that they can’t be bred to be tolerant of such temperatures. Great u have a chiller in mind

KayDee

Reaction score
Back to the hammocks for a second.
I found a store that sells suction cups with small hooks attached to them for use in showers. I also saw long body scrub sponges in the same store. I was thinking of making my own hammock too, using these materials. All up it will cost around $5 to make. My issue is with the texture of the scrub sponge. It is a little coarse and I worry my axolotl will get his claws stuck in the material.
Obviously it will be an unused body scrub. 😊

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
Back to the hammocks for a second.
I found a store that sells suction cups with small hooks attached to them for use in showers. I also saw long body scrub sponges in the same store. I was thinking of making my own hammock too, using these materials. All up it will cost around $5 to make. My issue is with the texture of the scrub sponge. It is a little coarse and I worry my axolotl will get his claws stuck in the material.
Obviously it will be an unused body scrub. 😊
My dollar shop sells both aquarium suction cups and plastic mesh travel bags. I was going to use a grommet tool but that’s metal, so I’ll have to think of something else. Shower curtain grommets would be great but I think they can only be attached by machine in the factory. Maybe I’ll check my local sewing supply and/or craft/hobby shop.

WooperLooperJPN

Reaction score
$3 using materials from the Japanese dollarshop

Attachments

• IMG20200912192403.jpg
    IMG20200912192403.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG20200912185305.jpg
    IMG20200912185305.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 294
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!