Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do axolotls shed their skin?

stephen

Reaction score
I am not sure what was on my axie because it looked like a fungus but when he swam it all fell off. What do you think it was that was on him. Here is a pic of it.
82999.jpg

L

lorie

They do a bit. That could be a build up of slime tho. But if ur axie is eating its probably sheadding a bit.

carpy

Reaction score
axolotls shouldnt shed their skin, as they are amphibians, it is reptiles that shed their skin.

as lorie said, what you ae seeing is probably his slime coating, but even that should not some off as easily as you suggested.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Axolotls do shed their skin as do other newts and salamanders. You can usually see the milky white layer that the animal will pull off and then eat.

You can see my newt eat her shed here.
EleanorEatingShed2.jpg

carpy

Reaction score
Wow, really, i have never heard of this before, i have always been told that it was the slime coating and never the actual skin.

it might be worth putting that on caudata culture, as im sure there arent many people aware of this, or it might be a misconception

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
skin shedding

When I collected my male wild type , it appeared to be shedding his skin, it looked very much like the one pictured( in water though)..didn't see him eat it, but did notice small pieces in the water ( had no sand down at the time so it was noticable). Having said that i wouldn't discount it being his 'slime coat ' either!

stephen

Reaction score
If it was his slime coating coming off what would have caused this? I have noticed that my other axie has similar white stuff on his body and when he swims it just comes off.

Wolferic

Reaction score
They do shed their skin as well as Amphibians as well.. I have a video of my Tiger Salamander pulling and eating his own skin.. as gross as it is they do it... Same as axies.. They have like smaller sheds like.. flakes...:>

llamalord2212

Reaction score
Yeah, when i first got my axxie, he was shedding quite a bit (seemed like his slime coat) but he doesnt anymore

Jaysolorzano

Reaction score
I noticed my axie, Mac, is also shading some of his skin? it is a lot tho. Is this normal? posted a picture below

Attachments

• mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 5,254

MuffinPeanut

Reaction score
My Peanut is doing this exact same thing at the moment! Did you ever figure out exactly what it was? Is Mac still doing okay afterwards? What a cute little lotl by the way!

Momof2Axolots

Reaction score
My male is black and dark brown. He has a white shade to him. His skin looks lile my Beardie and Leopard Geko right before they shed. Also he's not really wanting to eat. He sucks the worm in but spits it right out. Is this normal with shedding? It is for my other lizards. These are new to me. Im a Turtle and lizard mom lol.. Thanks for any help or advice!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Hi

Axolotls should not shed their slime coat ever unless they have injury, fungus or chemical burns from an uncycled tank or spike.
A white hue can be an overabundant slime coat or vitiligo.

So first lets check on your tank before getting to the eating.

When was it set up?
Temp?
pH?
High range pH?
GH?
KH?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
What water conditioners are you using?
Do you add anything else to the tank?

My male is black and dark brown. He has a white shade to him. His skin looks lile my Beardie and Leopard Geko right before they shed. Also he's not really wanting to eat. He sucks the worm in but spits it right out. Is this normal with shedding? It is for my other lizards. These are new to me. Im a Turtle and lizard mom lol.. Thanks for any help or advice!

Momof2Axolots

Reaction score
Hello! I've checked everything. Everything else about him seems normal. Him and my other one are acting like they have since the day i got them. My bosses son had them for 2yrs, he wasn't taken care of them anymore so my boss was giving them away. I LOVE anything weird and funky so I jumped at the chance of owning them. Before I took them I did research on how to take care of them. It's been almost 3 months. They seem so happy since when i first got them. This started now 4 days ago. I read things that say they do shed than ones that say they don't. He really looks like he's going to shed. They have grown alot since I've had them. Thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!