Question: Do I need a lid? (pics inside)

simko

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, while sally is on the mend from a gill fungal infection, i have my tank (her future home) running, hoping to complete the nitrogen cycle before she goes back in.

I was wondering, since i have some plants sitting outside of the tank, is a lid necessary? The water level is about 1.5" from the top of the tank, I have seen sally come up to the surface to gulp air, but ive never seen her jump, was wondering if this was safe

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/FkYeBBG.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/2GJurzq.jpg)

It may never happen to you...but my daughters axi jumped out of the tank, through an open window and landed on the outside windowsill......she was there so all was well!!Believe me I have had jumpers too!!

I don't have lids on my tanks, but I do keep the level down a bit. Axies seldom jump, but like Charley said, it is possible.

I like the setup :). I would use a lid though as it is better safe than sorry. You would need to lower the water much more otherwise. But more water will make it easier to control water quality. A mesh lid is best for keeping the tank cool. You could make one so that it has a hole for the plants?

I never really realized that they jumped but one of mine shot out of the water like a bullet while I was sitting right next to the tank! I do have a screen lid so he didn't get out but he hit that lid pretty hard, and he definitely would have fallen pretty far if he did (people also tell stories about them getting under furniture and not finding them till it was too late!).

I definitely suggest a lid, you'll probably want a screen lid to help keep the temp down in the summer. Mine looks like it was made for a reptile tank as it has a feeding hole which is how I have my hang on back filter, you might try something like that and leave the feeding hole open and put your plant through the hole?

Also, I believe that is an apple or mystery snail in there? That will unfortunately have to go. The axolotl will try to eat it and could choke on it, and I believe they also prefer warmer water.

And remove the gravel...I saw it when looking at the snail.......potential death sentence!

Hi everyone

thanks for the input, i will likely make some kind of screen lid that has cutouts for the plants

The gravel is in there to start my aquarium's cycle, it is from another matured fish tank. I will remove the gravel once the cycle is done!

Also, the snail was with the axolotl before, to be honest the axolotl tried once or twice to nip at the snail and the snail just closed its "trap door" , im not overly worried about that.... should i be?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back