Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do newt aquariums need ventilation?

Nioa

Reaction score
I just bought an Aqueon versatop for my 20L as it seems to fit the criteria of covering any openings while protecting the aquarium light from water/moisture. It isn't air tight as there are a couple gaps (too small for a new to squeeze through), but I just wonder if the lack of ventilation will become an issue. This aquarium will be heavily planted, so I assume oxygen won't be a problem. Here's a picture of the lid:

uFhv9FR.jpg

MnGuy

Reaction score
Most newts have lungs and breathe atmospheric air, so I would err on the side of having more ventilation. It's important to remember that unless they are still in their larval form with gills, the oxygen in the water from plants or aeration doesn't help them in the same way it helps fish.

I bought my alpine newts from a well-known breeder and he kept all of his newts in tanks with screen lids.

What species do you keep?

Good luck.

Reaction score
I feel it is important to maintain some ventilation. When my newts haul themselves out onto whatever island I am providing the ventilation allows them to dry out which would happen in the wild so I assume is at least somewhat beneficial. I recently got some glass lids for my tanks and then I just drilled a line of 3/8" holes down the middle of the plastic strip in the back (the strip that comes with the glass lids so you can cut out squares for a HOB filter or whatever).

Hope that helps!

Nioa

Reaction score
I feel it is important to maintain some ventilation. When my newts haul themselves out onto whatever island I am providing the ventilation allows them to dry out which would happen in the wild so I assume is at least somewhat beneficial. I recently got some glass lids for my tanks and then I just drilled a line of 3/8" holes down the middle of the plastic strip in the back (the strip that comes with the glass lids so you can cut out squares for a HOB filter or whatever).

Hope that helps!

I believe I have the same type! It looks like everyone here agrees ventilation is important, but now I'm wondering if drilling holes in the vinyl strip would be sufficient, or if I should just opt for a screen lid. I went for glass because I found my last screen got rusty.

Nioa

Reaction score
Most newts have lungs and breathe atmospheric air, so I would err on the side of having more ventilation. It's important to remember that unless they are still in their larval form with gills, the oxygen in the water from plants or aeration doesn't help them in the same way it helps fish.

I bought my alpine newts from a well-known breeder and he kept all of his newts in tanks with screen lids.

What species do you keep?

Good luck.

Don't have them yet, but I'm planning on getting alpine newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!