Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do salamanders/newts traver to breeding sites in streams?

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I read in a book that salamanders/newts will travel to their breeding ponds/marshes/sites in a stream. So basically they hop in a stream and ride it all the way down to the breeding grounds.

Is this true? I think it was written in a book that was written in the 80's so I don't know how trustable it is.
If so, what species do this and approximately what is the percentage of the individuals that do?
Because if this is true, I want to set up some traps ( net and funnel traps ).

And also, will they travel in streams even if the streams don't go all the way to the breeding site?

Thanks! -Seth

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems possible to me that any trap that actually traps the animal would drown it.

What is the title/author of the book? The reputation of the book and author matters more than when it was published. Things weren't all in the dark ages in the 80s:rolleyes:

otolith

Reaction score
I've heard of this with Taricha species mostly, I doubt very much they "ride the current" to the site of where they hatched. I see a lot of T. rivularis purposefully walk along stream banks, and have observed groups of T. torosa migrating to the same pond for the better part of 20 years. I don't doubt their homing instincts at all but I think once they get to the body of water they intend to breed in it basically stops there.

I don't think setting up funnel traps or nets in streams will give you any usable data and will most likely just harm whatever gets caught in them.

sde

Reaction score
Woops! Messed up the title.

Ok, I wont trap any then. Thanks for your thoughts on that, I would hate to hurt them!

So I am not positive that this is the book I read it in, though I am pretty sure. I could go back and check, but I don't know where I read it in the book :eek:
I think it was "Amphibians and Reptiles Of The Pacific Northwest, by Ronald A. Nussbaum, Edmund D. Brodie Jr. and Robert M. Storm.

OK, thanks for the info otolith! -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!