Do these look like mites, baby sugar ants, or normal soil bugs on the back of my White's Tree Frog?

Wonder

Reaction score
Country
United States
If these are mites, I am going to get him to a vet ASAP unless there's a better solution someone knows of but I just wanted to find out whether they look like mites, baby sugar ants, an infection, or regular soil bugs/springtails or something.

Overnight he has also developed what look like bites on his back, and there are little brown things crawling on him which I've highlighted in the photos, so I'm leaning in the direction of mites, but I wanted to know if there are any other possible causes for what is seen in the picture before I take him to the vet because I don't want to stress him out if I'm overreacting over something normal.

Today I noticed a few adult sugar ants in the frog tank, so I'm wondering if these could possibly be small/baby sugar ants?

Care notes:
  1. This frog is a little less than a year old. He has never been as robust as the other similar-sized WTF that lives in the same tank who is of similar age, and is either a little less active or more shy than my other frog. He grows, but not as fast as the second frog. I am unsure whether this frog is male or female and am calling him "he" for simplicity. The second frog in the tank is definitely male.
  2. He eats well though and while less active than my other frog, I would definitely not consider him lethargic.
  3. The two of them live in a 29G aquarium. I have had them since November of last year. They have coconut coir as their substrate.
  4. They eat crickets and mealworms. A live cricket escaped into their cage the other night, and most likely the second frog ate it, but there is a chance it could have bitten this frog. I feed them with tongs or place their food into a cup to limit substrate ingestion.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Frog-2.jpg
    Frog-2.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Frog-1.jpg
    Frog-1.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 85
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back