Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does your Axolotl eat live fish?

E

ester

If you scroll down the general page "www.caudata.org/forum" a bit, you'll find a part dedicated to axolotls.
If you ask your question there, you've got a bigger chance of getting an answer from others who keep axolotls.

E

edward

Monique,
I moved this to the correct section.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on July 31, 2005)

C

cynthia

Monique - Gold fish can carry parasites and disease that can be passed to your axolotl, especially if they are feeder goldfish from the pet store.

Home grown feeder fish are good for adding variety to your axolotls diet.

Make sure you are feeding a variety of foods like earth worms, trout or salmon pellets, crickets, grasshoppers, bloodworms etc.

You might want to check out http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm
for more info on feeding axolotls.

R

rita

My axies eat live fish. I breed goldfish, and used to breed feeder fish for that purpose. I switched to goldfish, because my larger axies needed something bigger. My axies will even hunt the fish by themselves at night. The younger ones seem to enjoy it.
biggrin.gif

M

monique

I said I would post some pictures of Buddy eating a goldfish, well here it is!
40362.gif

R

rita

Hee hee hee!!! Looks like what mine do!!!

I like watching them hunt the fish around the tank. Mass millitary movement in slow motion!!! lols.
Buddy looks like he's having fun.
rofl.gif

H

hayley-jane

I would love to see what Elsa would do with a live goldfish, but I can't bring myself to do it because I have pet goldfish too
crazy.gif

R

rita

Well, I don't feed my pet goldfish to my axies, only their babies who are too plain to sell.
Watching axies hunt is very amusing (better than TV) lols

S

shane

is it hard to breed your own fish.... i duno if i would be up to giving them live fish. what other types of fish are fine to feed axoltols with?

R

rita

yeah, breeding fish can be hard. Some fish just don't seem to want to do it. lols
Other than the goldfish, I've only ever fed mine feeder fish. (oh, and one of my axies ate my suckerfish, but that wasn't meant to happen). Wouldn't really know what other types are safe.

H

heather

I would love to just buy some feeder fish, dump em in my tank and watch the party, but im so paranoid about diseases and parasites like every one says;

is it really so bad that i should deny my axolotls the pleasure of hunting them down?

cuz i would really like to see them eat fish and i dont have enough time to breed my own feeders!!

R

rita

I still feed mine bought fish when I don't have any myself, but I have to be careful of where I get them from. I always get them from the same place, where I also get live fish for my Oscars.
Qaurantining and medicating the feeders might also work, (but I really wouldn't know, as I've never done that before).

M

maja

i had some black molly.. they are very easy to make babies.. just put a female n a male together and the babies come out ! hehe.. but they are very slow growing.. so if you wanna feed ur lil axos then theyre ookai..
frog.gif

S

stipe

i recomend buying guppies, there like 5 dollars for 6 (well here in australia) and my axies just love them. i think they gang up and actualy hord the fish to corners, lol military style.

S

sharn

mine are scared of fish!! i never feed them feeders due to the fact i cant be bothered breeding goldfish and guppies are too annoying plus if i give some to my axies frank (my huge oscar) will want some too. i just cant bring myself to give them some, i did once to try and get the axie i just saved to eat but ended up feeling sorry for them lol, im such a softie!!

A

alex

my axolotl love to eat fish. i give them every now and then like 1-2 times a week. its really funny the way he gets them though, he sets it all up for the big ambush he'll go into his cave and stick his head out just a bit waiting untill the fish swim about 3 cm away from his head then he'll dart out and eat them. its so funny when there inside his mouth coz you can see his head shaking when they try to escape then you see this little squirt of blood come out then he swallows it. i think it looks awesome when he does it. very intelligent creatures!

A

amanda

My guy is about seven months old, but for a while i was feeding him feeder guppies, and he loved them. lol, they would just mysteriously disappear during the night. I ended up with four adults, that just kept reproducing, so my guy was very happy. I never saw him actually catch one, but one day i came home, and there was an eye ball staring out at me from his belly. it was very strange....
dizzy.gif

lol, i'll get him some more when het gets bigger, but right now i think he's still rather small, so he's off of them for a bit.

M

mark

you could try breeding convict cichlids they grow quite quickly and are easy to breed get a group of one male and three females sit back and enjoy the spectacle of cichlid parenting
mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!