Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does your Axolotl eat live fish?

M

monique

I buy small gold fish. One will keep Buddy full for about a week! I put two in the tank. Once when I was cleaning out the tank, I put them all in a icecream container and Buddy ate three!!! I was so worried about her. She was fine though. Thank God!

lol.
lol.gif

J

joan

Goldfish are rather high in saturated fat and Vitamin A, which may cause a problem with calcium uptake/retention. Plus they're just dirty. They often carry diseases and parasites, and excrete a LOT of nitrogenous waste.

R

rheann

I would seriously avoid feeding store bought feeder fish. Like Joan said, they are dirty. It isn't just gold fish, it's also guppies too that are dirty. If you want to feed them fish, take a breeding pair home, separate them in isolation and treat them for parasites and get them healthy. After which you can breed them and when they have babies, then you have a food source. Your Axolotl could easily become infested with Parasites, or your tank as well just bringing fish home from the pet store and feeding them off right away.

Buying feeder fish is a big No NO for me. Yuck.

R

rheann

I have no idea Casey. I don't feed Feeder fish to my Axolotls. The only thing I can think of is getting that parasite removal stuff that comes in a bottle at the pet shops. Even with this one can't be too sure they got rid of all the little pests that are crawling in and on the Fish.

I can't recommend any brands. I would just avoid feeding feeder fish all together.

R

ron

I tried a 3 1/2inch sucking catfish(thai variety I beleive) in with my 2 6inch axies.They got along fine for a while till the catfish got a taste for axie pellets and started nipping the tails of the axies at feeding time.Well I came home one day...no catfish .NEVER stand between an axie and its food
happy.gif

T

tina

Can I keep a breeding group of guppies in the same tank as my axolotl? The tank is 210 litres.
Is it possible that my axie will eat them all at once and get ill or constipated? There are like 30 grown gyppies and about 100 fry. My axie is 20cm.

S

sharn

better not to, feeders should be fed as a treat, if at all. there is a chance he could go on a feeding spree and end up throwing up all his precious little guppies he worked so hard to catch. also he could get ill, but there is less chance of that with home bred babies from disease free parents. generally we advise against the idea. oh, almost forgot, fish can nip at the axies gills :S

T

tina

Thanx
happy.gif

By the way, when I bought my axie, the clerk told me they were common to house in comunity tanks, so I just put her in with the other fish, and the first night she ate two neon tetras and a danio. Luckily I found this site and a couple others the next day and got her out of there
errr.gif

H

hayley-jane

Don't tetras live in warm water?

73-75 F I thought?

Thats too warm for axolotls, what temperature is your tank water?

happy.gif

T

tina

Now I keep her at 18-19 C.

The clerk told me upto 25 C was just fine. My large tank had a temp. at 24 C. Neons tollerate temp. down to 18 C.
wacko.gif

M

mary

i feel bad enough having to chop up a worm to feed the babies let alone putting in live things!!

S

skylar

i feed mine white cloud mountain minnows. I started with i think 6 a few years back and now my pond is overrun with them, there's hundreds! They are okay to keep in a tank too as they keep to the upper half of the aquarium and dont nip the gills..

I also feed them the occasional guppy or goldfish that is deformed.

I find feeding them fish is much less bad than cuitting up worms.. I mean when you cut up worms they move around heaps and look like theyre in lots of pain! but the feeder fish i always keep in really good conditions.

S

sharon

I bought some feeder guppies (10 for a $1 here) - quarantined about $3 worth - and then tossed them into my tropical tank. Every now and then when the tank looks overflowing with baby guppies - I scoop some out and feed the turtles, axolotls, and salamander.

Clean - no extra work and everyone gets a good work out for their treat! LOL!

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!