Don't have a vet, need your help

Sardoniks

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Need your help! I'm from Sybirea.
The point is that we don't have vets here, so we are trying to do something ourselves. My axolotl's been sick since July. She doesn't want to eat, so we force feed her almost for 4 months. But recently her gills started to fade. So I have no idea what else i can do. Maybe you can give some advice. That's what I've done so far:

My axolotl got sick on the 12th of July, she started to fall on one side. I put her in the fridge. She spent there 15 days in solution. For 5 litters 250mg ciprinol, 250mg Nystatin, and 125 metronidazole. Also gave her 0,4ml of azythromycin for 8 days.
Then she was returned to the aquarium, temperature was 15°C. I bathed her in oak bark and multivitamins.
Since 18th of August, after some break, she got 6 shots of antibiotic marfloxin 0,09ml, and 3 shots of vitamin B12.
On the 25th of September i found the abscess on her upper palate. The next day the vet dissected it. I put 3 more shots of marfloxin.
On the 9th of October she layed larvae.

@Sardoniks

First, hello my fellow child of Russia. Second, I am so sorry for all you're going through! So you do have a vet that is treating your axolotl? Can you please, please post some photos of your girl and her tank? Like, show us the setup. Is she the only axolotl you have? I am so baffled by what's going on, to develop that abscess thing you spoke of. Can you tell us more about this vet, because all those medications, that seems like way too much. Like, just a ton of different medicines. My mom is a retired vet and I had her look up those medications, the only one we don't know is that marfloxin, it's apparently not something we have in the US.

Why did you vet dissect the abscess, just to drain it? God, I am so sorry you're going through this! How old is your axolotl? Again, photos would help. There are many experienced owners and breeders in these forums and I hope they see this and can help because this is why beyond anything I've dealt with. I am here if you need to talk. Hang in there.

Thank you for your support!
We have a vet, but she knows nothing about amphibians. She can do only some common things.
I got all this instructions about medications from online forums, from vets from Moscow. Marfloxin is an antibiotic.
I have now two axolotls. There were three, one of them had some infection, he bloated and then died. After some time this girl got sick.
Now nothing seems wrong with her, but she doesn't eat and shows no interest in food:(

Aquarium 120 liters, external filter, airation, chiller keeps the temperature 18-19C, have some real plants in the pots

Attachments

• EIb3Sh0yaWc.jpg
    EIb3Sh0yaWc.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 163
  • gJ9jMJHWIFc.jpg
    gJ9jMJHWIFc.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 101
  • ZfbsAVOhD9A.jpg
    ZfbsAVOhD9A.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 101
Ok, so do you test the water quality? The pH, ammonia level, nitrite level, and nitrate level. Sadly, I do not know what you have access to but if you could get an API brand Fresh Water Master test kit, you would be able to determine your levels. The one I have only has English, French, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, and German, no Russian at all. The kit is fairly use to use, comes with 4 glass tubes. You fill them up with 5 ml of water from your tank, then add drops of whatever chemical you want to test into that glass tube. Like, for nitrites, you add 5 drops of its specific chemical into the tube and then shake it for 5 seconds, wait 5 minutes, it turns a color, check the color on the back of the instructions, which has a chart.

All of the chemicals involved are toxic so don't let them get anywhere near your eyes or your axolotls' tank. You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and between 20-60 nitrates. I would start with making sure your water quality is good. How often do you change their water, how much water do you take out (like, half the tank, 1/3rd the tank?), and do you pre-treat the water you use? I don't pre-treat mine, I fill up my buckets and jugs ahead of time and wait 2 days for them to naturally dechlorinate. I don't know what your water quality is like in, Siberia, yes? In my part of the US, our water quality is notably poor, so I always leave my water in the buckets, covered up by a plastic bag, to naturally detoxify. There are some things you can buy that will do it in a much faster time frame, usually sold at your local pet store.

Ok, and next, we need to find your girl another thing to eat. What have you tried? Many people on this site feed their axolotl a variety of food. Mine gets pellets and earthworms, she enjoys both.

And on the other front, your axolotls are so cute! I am so sorry you're going through this and so sorry you lost one of them but you're doing God's work by giving these axolotls a home! I do think if you can get the water quality perfect AND find a food she likes, you'll see notable improvements. Perhaps your vet can help. Some people use raw, cold, chopped up shrimp. If you have axolotl to blackworms or bloodworms, try them. Bloodworms are not a good thing for them to eat because they have little nutritional value but they're good when they're babies, so she may like them and if you can get her to eat anything, maybe she will become more receptible to earthworms.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I was at work all day. I apologize. I really hope someone else, someone more experienced can chime in and help too. I am a major novice, just dealing with a lot of stuff. Hang in there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back