Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dosage for conditioning tap water

DRRMJ

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to aquarium keeping and I’m a little confused about treating tap water for my axolotl’s tank.

I have a bottle of API Tap Water Conditioner Super Strength which has the following dosage instructions:

To remove chlorine and detoxify heavy metals add 1ml for each 20 US Gallons of aquarium water

To detoxify chloramines, add 5ml for each 30 gallons of aquarium water.

Presumably I want to remove both chlorine and chloramines (although please correct me if wrong). The tank is about 30 gallons so if I wanted to treat 30 gallons of tap water would I add:

a) 1.5ml, under the 1ml per 20 gallon rule

b) 5ml, under the 5ml per 30 gallon rule

c) 6.5ml, with 1.5ml to remove chlorine/heavy metals and another 5ml to remove chloramines

d) something else entirely?

Also I’m assuming I’ll need to treat the water before each water change and since I’ll be replacing about 20% at a time, so 6 gallons or so, can anyone offer any advice on measuring out very small (<0.5ml) amounts? Or is this totally the wrong product to be using for this volume of water and I need something less concentrated.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
If you’re worried about chloramines, I would use 5ml to treat your 30 gallon tank. For water changes, I would use 1ml, as you’ll want to keep using the chloramine dosage.

For measuring small doses, I use a small dropper with .5ml increments marked on the side. The one I found was intended for medicating small animals. Other people may have better advice than me, but this has worked for my tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1