Dozer

RSKY_DEMON_1486

Reaction score
Country
United States
How'z it! I'm RSKY_DEMON_1486 new member just actually got a "waterdog" earlier this year February off impulse cause all I really wanted was betta food but you know how that goes lol kinda learned as the days went by and on slow days or free time id google stuff research stuff and YouTube fast forward to now still learning and found this forums by chance since I haven't killed it yet which I thought I did once when it was still in larvae form went to work noticed it was kinda hot and humid for some reason typical Oahu weather got home after work 515pm get in my room and looked at the tank water temp and was at 74.7 degrees Fahrenheit first thought I killed it wasn't moving much changed out the ice packs and wated a few hours put frozen blood worms in and he was snappy and eating now he's out of the water and still eating not sure the type or origin it's from hopefully the pics will help oh and yah the enclosure it's in is a 10 gal sterilite tub filled with eco earth but already planning on changing that gonna mix in top soil maybe in my next build also using cork bark as a hide which he uses alot and the moss just for looks and the almond leaves for looks and hide the water way I made with expanding foam used foam sheets about half inch thick to make a form for the expanding foam to foam to after that cut and shape the quickrete paint and dry he seem to love it so for now I'm gonna leave dozer in it he seems to be real hungry he eats three good size live feeder crickets twice to three times a week not sure if that to much I think crickets is all I tried wanted live meal worms but only could find freeze dried.

Attachments

• 20210602_210931.jpg
    20210602_210931.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
  • 20210602_210604.jpg
    20210602_210604.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • 20210601_214821.jpg
    20210601_214821.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • 20210602_201142.jpg
    20210602_201142.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
not too familiar with mudpuppies but I'm pretty sure this is a part of the Ambystoma family, which are illegal in my state California at least haha. Looks like a tiger salamander but maybe not it's hard to tell with the dirt on the salamander maybe post photos after wetting it down? From the looks of it there are no naturally native species of salamander in Hawaii

not too familiar with mudpuppies but I'm pretty sure this is a part of the Ambystoma family, which are illegal in my state California at least haha. Looks like a tiger salamander but maybe not it's hard to tell with the dirt on the salamander maybe post photos after wetting it down? From the looks of it there are no naturally native species of salamander in Hawaii
Yah definitely not native to here lol ill snap a clean pic this weekend im also suprised at how much he eats i feed 2 to 3 good sized crickets two straight days i seen on a care shert feed two to three times a week food wise i think im stuck with crickets checked everywhere on island. Their are some people on island with axolotl and tigers just everyone is hush hush about it 🤷🏾‍♂️ and when you finally get to talk to them they end up telling you the same thing you doing lol so far so good. Actually found a better pic on my phone lol hopefully better

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210604-120729_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210604-120729_Gmail.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
This is definitely a tiger salamander. Care sheet here.
Thank you, hard here its warm and can't get Temps below 75 so I noticed since its warmer, i feed him alot come to think about it I've been feeding him three times a week and maybe 5 medium sized crickets he also seems to just hide and only come out when I sit at his enclosure and wait till I give him food then goes away lol honestly I try not to go by his enclosure so much so he don't get to use to seeing me only feeding time he as a white spot on his head hopefully it goes away. is that normal for the rear legs to be bigger then the front also do these guys molt or what ever cause when I put him in a water bowl I noticed after getting him out had this thin paper like thing stuck all over his back rear legs I noticed he'd rub up againt his cork bark hide.

Attachments

• 20210604_232753.jpg
    20210604_232753.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • 20210604_232826.jpg
    20210604_232826.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
Thank you, hard here its warm and can't get Temps below 75 so I noticed since its warmer, i feed him alot come to think about it I've been feeding him three times a week and maybe 5 medium sized crickets he also seems to just hide and only come out when I sit at his enclosure and wait till I give him food then goes away lol honestly I try not to go by his enclosure so much so he don't get to use to seeing me only feeding time he as a white spot on his head hopefully it goes away. is that normal for the rear legs to be bigger then the front also do these guys molt or what ever cause when I put him in a water bowl I noticed after getting him out had this thin paper like thing stuck all over his back rear legs I noticed he'd rub up againt his cork bark hide.
Im pretty sure it isnt a tiger salamander anymore, by the looks of it you have a mole salamander (Ambystoma talpoideum) but not for sure. This site isn't as popular anymore, I love this app its also a website its called iNaturalist , I usually search amphibians to see what locals have found around me theyre also great at identifying species as well.

I'm pretty sure this is indeed a Tiger Salamander. The body/head proportions don't add up for a talpoideum and it has too many costal grooves for a talpoideum. The reason why it has light frosting is probably because it's adult coloration is still developing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back