Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The Caudate Gods have bestowed upon me the ultimate blessing, they have gifted me with dunni eggs!!!
Now a brief and explosive display of happiness:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!
original

I shall sacrifice many a worm to thee oh Caudate Gods!

Now, here´s the story. They have been in my terrace for the entire winter, because i couldn´t fridge them like i did the previous year. Unfortunately that meant that they haven´t been exposed to temps as low as i wanted, they have been fluctuating between 8-12ºC most of the time. Eventually i put them in the breeding tank two months ago, because the males were spending some time in the water and the females were getting somewhat biggish. For two months i struggled to keep the temps below 10ºC. The males went in full breeding mode, the females got bigger and everybody was spending time in the water and eating a lot. But no eggs.
Then as all us europeans know, we had a heat wave. A bit over a week of excellent, sunny, spring weather. the water temp went up to 15ºC and the females were barely in the water anymore. The water quickly developed algae and i lost all hope of any success. A few days ago i was considering putting them back in their usual tank and taking them in, because with the high temps i thought that was it, plus i was getting worried about keeping them in the terrace, which gets direct sunlight all afternoon and really heats up. But then winter came back xD I delayed taking them in out of laziness more than anything else. I really thought there was no chance, but since the males were still in the water i thought "hey, let them enjoy it a bit longer while the bad weather lasts".
Then yesterday i went in to check the water temp out of curiosity and then i saw it....i saw a translucent ball full of dots clinging from a brick. My eyes went wide and the nonsensical screaming begun. While i was calling my father to come see i noticed something on the bottom of the tank.....a second set of egg sacs!!! Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! The two females had laid the same night!!
After a quick happy dance followed by failed attempts to take any half-decent pictures i spent a good 20 minutes just staring at the things and freezing my **** off in my pijamas.

I fell in love with H.dunni the first time i saw Henk Wallays' photos. Their mode of reproduction fascinated me and when i finally got my little group from Joost all i wanted was to some day see this remarkable thing with my own eyes and yesterday that day finally arrived :D and oh....it is beautiful....

Now it´s time to come back down to earth. As far as i understand there´s a very good chance the eggs are not fertile. Which is fine, i´m happy enough having the chance to see the egg sacs and truth be told, knowing that by the time they hatch i will have to spend over a month away from home for my exams, i don´t know what i will do if they end up being fertile and viable. If they show signs of being viable i might even consider putting them in a foster home xD
I´m not expecting anything, as i say i´m happy enough with just getting to see such remarkable egg sacs, but obviously if on top of that i somehow end up with a group of minidunnis to distribute to friends, despite the terrible timing, that would be fantastic but hey, there´s always next year.

Anyway, sorry for the long post..but i couldn´t just say "hey, got dunni eggs"...i´m waaaay too thrilled to spare you the details xD

Oh, here are two terrible pictures where you can barely see anything at all. Enjoy! :D (i´ll upload better pictures as the egg sacs inflate to their full size in the following days).

azhael-albums-hynobius-dunni-breeding-picture32930-hynobius-dunni-egg-sac.jpg

azhael-albums-hynobius-dunni-breeding-picture32931-hynobius-dunni-egg-sac.jpg

Last edited:

Yahilles

Reaction score
Re: Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D

Congratulations! So there was no really overwintering, just putting them in cool conditions right out of "normal conditions"? Anyway, i keep thumbs for the eggs to be fertile.

The Caudate Gods have bestowed upon me the ultimate blessing
This religion should be kind of standardized, i always refer to The Great Newt.
Some sort of Slimy Tailed Bible needs to be written.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Brilliant! Hope they develop. Be careful of the adults, especially males, eating eggs.

The 'normal' approach with these guys is to remove the adults and let the larvae hatch and develop in the breeding tank.

Hope they are fertile!!!

C

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

I´ll take the adults out tomorrow and leave the eggs alone in the tank. If one of the males so much as looks at the eggs funny he´ll know what wrath is.
Should i be worried about taking them inside? The cold won´t last long...by next week we´ll probably go back to the lovely spring weather which means the terrace could get really hot. Would the eggs be fine at room temperature or should i try to keep them colder?

I´m panicking Chris, i´m panicking! xD Argh....what if they are fertile....

Janusz, they were over-wintered for about two months before i put them in the breeding tank (and then another two months before they laid), but they weren´t exposed to temps as low as i wanted them to be. Nevertheless they were cold.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score

I think they can take quite warm temperatures, but avoid anything higher than early 20s C. I would increase the number of oxygenating plants if it gets warmer, though. You can always shade the tank with some white boards/cloth/plastic sheeting. I wouldn't move them until you can see if they are developing.

C

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Brilliant news..I will now keep everything crossed for continuing success :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

New pictures.

azhael-albums-hynobius-dunni-breeding-picture33008-pair-h-dunni-egg-sacs.jpg

azhael-albums-hynobius-dunni-breeding-picture33009-single-h-dunni-egg-sac.jpg

azhael-albums-hynobius-dunni-breeding-picture33010-hingle-h-dunni-egg-sac.jpg

azhael-albums-hynobius-dunni-breeding-picture33011-single-h-dunni-egg-sac.jpg

maxim

Reaction score

Good luck with the eggs!
I found yesterday an egg sac of my Hynobius quelpartensis.
Also very happy!

Attachments

• imagejpg1_zps2d919a65.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps2d919a65.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 763

HWALL

Reaction score
Great to see the Hynobidae are still kept and bred !!

C

Cliygh and Mia

Whatever happened to these guys? Are you still breeding them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!