Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dry powder axolotl fry food

birdsong

Reaction score
So I have recently met the owner of a company called aquapharm . He breeds amphibians and has invented an axolotl specific fry food . I have 2dozen eggs acquired from Bette and will be experimenting with different food types with them . One batch I will feed daphnia magna and baby brine shrimp,one batch baby brine shrimp only , one batch daphnia only , and one batch only dry fry food . I was wondering if any one else has experience with dry fry food and if any one has an opinion on the best growth from different types of food they have personally used . Thanks in advance .

rachel1

Reaction score
I have serious doubts about stimulating prey drive and maintaining water quality with a powdered food. I have read a couple accounts on here of people claiming success with dry foods, but they are few and far between, and I wonder about growth rates. I use daphnia only, supplemented with cyclops from my adult tank, then add bloodworms and live chopped blackworms. Make sure to seperate out only the tiny daphnia for hatchlings- they can't eat the larger adult daphnia and will starve. I use a small pipette- only the small daphnia fit through the opening. Also, they are larvae, not fry- so if he is calling them fry I would hesitate to trust his knowledge base.

Bette

Reaction score
As rachel1 said, the larvae will only be able to eat the tiny freshly hatched daphnia. That's why most people feed bbs. It's convenient and encourages good growth. I have very good luck feeding bbs. I sometimes supplement grindal worms as well.
I too seriously doubt the success of a dry powdered food... I would think that it would very quickly deteriorate the water quality. Plus, they instinctively snap at live moving prey.

birdsong

Reaction score
I agree with your statements I guess there's no way to know unless you try. I will monitor the babies on dry food and if they fall too far behind I will switch to bbs and daphnia . I voiced my questions to him about there prey drive reaction and he claimed that the motion of a sponge filter will imitate bbs movement causing the larvae to reaction snap at the granules . He has said that he raises 1,000+ larvae per month on this food. I too am skeptical but interested . I fully expect the live foods to produce better results .

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What is he calling the food? Is he feeding it to axolotls or to other larvae?

birdsong

Reaction score
Axolotls he says it performs as well as a daphnia diet he markets it as fish fry food but reports good success with axolotls . It's first two ingredients are fish meal then brine shrimp . It has 67% protein 14% fat and 4% fiber here's a picture sorry it's upside down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1