Ducks

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Katie
I bought some duck eggs for hatching today.

Any advice?

I've hatched chicken before. 99.5, 55% humidity, turn an odd # of times a day, 25th day stop turning, 28th day hatch. (Except muscovy and a few others is longer)

Now I know some people, after day 9, cool to 86 once a day and spray eggs with room temp water.

What's the view on this? It seemed to be 1/2 for 1/2 against.
I'm leaning for.

The eggs were not washed, as I didn't want to remove the bloom. I read it's even more important for duck eggs.

When we've hatched ducks eggs in the past we just left eggs a week longer but same as hen eggs in the incubator. Shame you don't have a broody hen to stick the eggs under.

I only have two polish girls laying eggs so I didn't want them broody.

We keep wyandottes and Pekins so normally have a broody hen. We just add lots of water to incubator last week for humidity. Good luck.

I just put them in our smaller DIY wine fridge incubator since I'm between reptile hatches lol

Big tub of water, and have been misting the bottom ( not eggs) to keep humidity up.

I can't wait to candle next week. The lady with the flock gathered them over more days then I would like, so I'm hoping fertility is still high :/

Good luck. This year my brother is breeding some call ducks, different colours of mandarin and some Carolina wood ducks.
Plus all the poultry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back