Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Duckweed?

M

marcus

Does anyone know of any floating plants besides duckweed that is able to thrive despite condensation?

Also, do anyone have any experience growing mangrove? I recently got hold of a seedling and would like to know more about cultivation...
I´ve found some information on the web but it´s mostly about growing them in biofilters for saltwater aquariums.
I know this really doesn´t have much to do with floating plants but any answers would be appreciated
happy.gif

A

alan

Depends what you mean by floating. Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) floats, as does Indian fern (Ceratopteris sp.), though the latter prefers tropical temperatures.

Mangroves need brackish or full-strength seawater and very bright light (sunlight or metal halide).

M

marcus

Well... I was thinking more in terms about plants floating on the water surface, say like Pistia or for that matter ceratopteris.

Actually I am pretty sure that mangrove does fine in freshwater as I have seen it grown successfully in that manner but everyone seems to agree that bright light is important.
Hopefully the grey skies of Sweden will muster enough light to let the seedling thrive in my window, on sullen days fluorescent light have to lend a hand! If the mangrove seems unhappy I guess I have to make other arrangements...

K

katie

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Alan Cann (Ajc) wrote on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:13 :</font>

"It's also a noxious introduced aquatic weed in many places, so please be careful what you do with it. "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Yup, Alan's right...we need to be careful and do some homework on our plants. I did seasonal work with Plant Protection and Quarantine in my college days, and the experiences opened my eyes. Many of the plants we like in aquariums are considered to be noxious, invasive introduced aquatic weeds in certain areas, and as such, they are subject to governmental monitoring, control and eradication. I sometimes think all of them have invaded the tropical waters of my home state. We all need to take care with the aquatics we use. They can be wonderful in your tank, and awful if you dump them carelessly into the environment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1