Duke of Edinburgh Award

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Blackhawk
Hello!
First of all let me explain what the Duke of Edinburgh Award is. Over the course of a year, people from Scotland between the ages of 14 and 26 can apply to try and complete the course which includes ten weeks of sport, followed by a video camera course, the community course is where you visit the local police station to find out about the work of a policeman and visit the 'housemates'. The last part of the DOE award is the expedition where you learn orienteering and camping, as well as learning to live without some of the luxuries people are used to!

Right now, IanF and myself are doing the video camera course and while most of the other groups at our branch of the DOE are filming their videos during the short period of time between 4-6pm when it is pitch black outside, we concluded that doing this was flawed reasoning and so took it upon ourselves to film at home since we live just down the road from each other. We quickly chose our topic as 'Caudates' and have now started filming our own newts and sals. However we soon made an idea - what if we asked the caudata.org community to film their caudates and ask them to send their videos to us?

So if you have a video camera and have mediocre filming skills, then please don't hesitate to PM me or IanF and we will send you our e-mail adresses all we need you to do is introduce yourself, tell us which country you are from, and talk for a few minutes about a caudate of your choice (preferably one that you keep) We will post the completed film on here once it is finished.

Thanks in advance,
Blackhawk

No-one? Come on surely someone's bored enough to do this.;)

Hi you two,

Probably everyone is busy fiddling with their video cameras and can't reply, that's all.

I think it's a fabulous idea. I'll see if we can come up with anything at this end. Hopefully others will, too!

Do you have any kind of technical limits, requirements, ideal formats, etc.?

-Eva

Hi you two,

Probably everyone is busy fiddling with their video cameras and can't reply, that's all.

I think it's a fabulous idea. I'll see if we can come up with anything at this end. Hopefully others will, too!

Do you have any kind of technical limits, requirements, ideal formats, etc.?

-Eva
Nope, we're using low grade camera and just editing it later on. As long as it's not in German so we don't have to translate it with some dictionary. We'll try to make it of the best quality but don't be expecting a documentary.:p

When do you need it by? Grumpet can help me make a video this coming Sunday (after T-giving, on the 30th). Then I'll edit it and email it, is that too late?
Dawn

When do you need it by? Grumpet can help me make a video this coming Sunday (after T-giving, on the 30th). Then I'll edit it and email it, is that too late?
Dawn
Nope, we'll need to edit the video down to under 20 minutes for the actual entry, but we're planning on also making a longer version so that we can include all the material we get sent.
Oh and if you could introduce yourself at the begining we'd appreciate it, say how many newts/Salamanders you keep and then go on to talk about which ever ones you want.
Thanks,
Ian

Will do! I just recently learned how to trim and splice and it'll be my first attempt.

We don't need it, like, within a day or anything, probably in the next month or so but the the sooner the better I think. It just means it will be quicker to get the whole video edited and finished for use.

It's great to see that people are catching on to the idea! I was worried that no one would reply!:eek:

Blackhawk

I may get into this as well. I'll be in good position to do some filming this evening, so maybe I'll jump in with something.

Is there anything specific you guys are looking for? Natural habitat information? Breeding? Or just 'why this species is cool'?

Well the shortened version of this may be being shown at the end of the course at the ceremony in front of parents and other people, and as much as we'd find lots of extra information really interesting, I'm not sure the general public would quite.... Get the grips;) Basically, yeah, just why you like it and maybe a small piece of information on where they are naturally found.

Blackhawk

Last edited:
Great! I'll probably do my P. Labiatus and I don't know whether Ian will do his Axies or his tiger sal. I would say doing a wild species for us is definately out of the question *looks out window, imagines desert island* meh I would still be happy if we at least got the desert island weather!:D

Blackhawk

Sounds good Dawn. Feel free to do others aswell, doesn't have to be just one. I think we'll dumb it down for the actual presentation but if you just tell us where they're naturally found, some intresting facts and mabey include footage or the set-up they live in. We'll make two versions, one for you guys, and another shorter version for the presentation.

Now I'm struggling between Ambystomatids and Taricha...

Right, just an update. Connor is doing his on Labiatus and I'll be doing mine on Tigrinum.

Ok, Connor and I are filming this weekend. Dawns in the process of sending hers (technical problems). Anyone else had time to do one?

I'm not going to get a chance. Sorry guys!

That's Ok! We won't have too big a slot to show the film so we should be able to fill it up with Ian's, Dawn's and my piece of footage. Although anyone else who could do some filming would be very much appreciated!

Blackhawk

hey ill knock something 2gether 2nite, do u want ambystoma laterale, salamandra salamandra or cynops orientalis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back