During cycling (fish less) should i clean canister filter?

I wouldn't. If you are doing fishless cycling, you don't need to do a water change or anything, unless water parameters get terribly bad!! (Of course you would want to do a water change before you put anything live in there.) Of course, others may have a different opinion, but I never clean a filter while cycling. Your good bacteria live on all kinds of surfaces, not just the biological media, so I like to take complete advantage of that.

There will be exceptions to "my rule" of course.....lol.....but in general.....
 
Agreed. For the most part it should be unnecessary. The only time I would bother is if you have organic debris like pieces from plants clogging up the filter and reducing efficiency. Most of the organic debris in the tank should start accumulating after you've added an animal.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top