Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dutch Frogday, 24th October 2004

A

alan

A group of four from the BDG attended the Dutch frogday at Rozenburg near Rotterdam on 24th October 2004 – Mick Bajcar, Nick Capara, Matt Rendle and I. By carpooling and Mick's strenuous efforts on the internet with ferry companies and hotel chains, costs for the trip were kept down to a very reasonable level. After a stormy trip down to Dover, a missed ferry, a rather lumpy channel crossing and a longish drive up to Breda, we arrived too late and too tired for any beer.

After a nights sleep and a good Eurobreakfast we were refreshed and eager to get to the event. Pausing only to assess the vivarium potential of the unidentified plants used as table decorations (and liberate a cutting), we made the short drive to Rozenburg. Here, navigation proved to be a bit tricky, and we needed the help of a friendly local to find the venue for frogday, which had been cunningly hidden at the end of a narrow road eerily resembling Mainstreet, Disneyland. Before the doors opened, Matt and Nick concentrated on getting thrown out of the hall as many times as possible while Mick and I socialized. By kick-off, a box full of frogs and a bucket of tadpoles had already been obtained.

Possibly because frogday had not been held on a Sunday for some years, the crowds were not as great as at some previous events, but sharp elbows, a keen eye and a steady nerve were still required to survive the initial rush. Prices were as amazing as ever, e.g:

D. azureus €40-50
D. leucomelas €20-30
P. bicolour €20-30
E. tricolor €10-15
and purpose-built vivaria for €30 and up.

After securing the frogs we wanted, we raided the plant stalls (assorted bromeliads €2-20). Then it was time for just a few more frogs before trying to figure out how to cram the whole lot into the car and set off for home. This being Sunday, Belgium was shut, so Mick kept his foot clamped to the floor until we reached Calais. With time to spare, we braved the Eastenders warehouse near the ferry port and secured enough cases of ridiculously cheap wine to fill up the remaining space in the car.

The return crossing was a lot smoother, although the weather was foul all the way back to Watford. Here we stopped briefly at Nick's house for tea and to admire his bijou frog loft. Mick and I carried on north, only to be halted by roadworks on the M1. Bathed in the warm glow of the fuel warning light, we eventually reached Leicester past midnight, where supplies of diesel and tea were obtained, and frogs safely stowed away in vivaria. Mick carried on towards Nottinghamshire, arriving home in the early hours of Monday morning, Not a drop of beer passed our lips on the entire trip, but in spite of that there can be only one question – when's the next frogday?

A

alan

Some of the spoils:

25608.jpg

A

ajfr0ggy

That sounded a fun but hectic trip.

What other frogs were avaliable? Any pics of the actual show?

AJfr0ggy

A

alan

Sorry, no pics of the show - it's too hectic
wink.gif

There were probably about 20 species of Dendrobatid present, and of course many different variations. No Mantellas at this show (disappointingly). A few treefrogs and oddities, several species of Phelsuma. Lots of feeder cultures, vast quantities of plants and sundries, all the way up to exquisite fully-furnished dartfrog vivaria. All the prices at a fraction of what you'd pay in the UK.

A

ajfr0ggy

Were any of the oddities any true toads or reed frogs?
I would love to go to a show like that, all though i would prefer it to have all sorts of frogs, not just dendobatis.
What else did you get?

AJfr0ggy

A

alan

Frogdays are run by Dendrobatidae Nederland, so they're pretty hardcore dartfrog.
In addition to the azureus, I also bought P. bicolor:

25681.jpg

and acquired some unidentified Epipedobates tadpoles.

W

william

I hate bring up old posts but just wanted to compliment you on some nice pics and to ask what kind of plant that was in the second pic? Thanks.

A

alan

Compliments always welcome, no matter how old :)
It's a jewel orchid, Ludisia discolor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!