Dwarf sirens care

L

luis

Hello:
I am interested in keeping 3 dwarf sirens in a heavily planted 30 gallon tank.What would be the best temp and water Ph?
Are they combative with each other?Overall any tips would be helpfull.
Thanks
Luis

Hi Luis, I've kept these in the past. While not really combative with each other that I saw, they often nipped each others' legs and toes at feeding time. This resulted in a lost foot in one, though it soon grew back. They are deceptively small too. They are listed at up to 25cm, but this is misleading...they are very slender, pencil-thin or less. Their mouths are tiny and they had a hard time with even the small earthworm chunks I was originally giving them. Obviously from looking at their natural habitat, they naturally live in acidic waters. But the pH of my local water is 7.7-7.8 and they didn't seem to be bothered by this at all. As for temps, best to keep them between 60-80F. They really like a thick cover of floating plants and you're more likely to see them out and about if you provide them with it. God luck and have fun, they're very cool salamanders.

thanks for the excellent advice.i intend to feed them live black worms and frozen chunks(thawed ofcourse)of mosquito and blood worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back