Illness/Sickness: Dying Axolotls

khudgins81

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I am at a complete loss, I just lost my 3rd Axolotl in a month. Heres what happens verbatim: their tails and extremities turn red/bloodshot and then regurgitate all their food then pass. My exact setup and regiment is as follows: no filter, I do 90-100 % water changes every other day, I use zoo med reptisafe water conditioner, an aquarium fan that keeps temps between 62-66 F, I have well water at my house, but like I said I use reptisafe... I feed frozen bloodworms... thats all the info I can think of to give. I NEED HELP. PLEASE. :confused:

It's gotta be your water chemistry somehow. While I wouldn't do 100% water changes, it shouldn't be killing your axolotls. Your food should be fine for the moment although earthworms or pellets will provide more nutrition but you would see the axie almost waist away.

I think it's water chemistry because of the red limbs. I accidentally let my water chemistry, specifically ammonia get out of control and that was the first sign I saw. I don't think it's ammonia in your case because I have seen axies large and small survive in containers getting 100% water changes 3 times a week, although that is definitely something you may want to monitor because of the red blood shot feet.

Does your water.treatment also.remove heavy metals? I'm not sure of the symptoms of heavy metals but I know they can mess with an axolotls health. That would also make sense with the well water.

The best of luck to you!!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I use zoo med reptisafe water conditioner. ..I was under the impression that was the best water conditioner to use, is it not? What water conditioner brand (s) is the best?

If you are doing such large water changes daily, I wonder if there has been an over accumulation of reptisafe water conditioner ?
Is your well water safe to drink?
Could you maybe add a photo of you aquarium set up, in case there is something else we can spot.

I am doing research about a specific problem, and this is the second thread I have read today with axolotls showing these immediate signs after use of that water conditioner. I would advise using something else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back