FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
SSL21121.jpg

SSL21127.jpg

SSL21104.jpg

SSL21112.jpg

I have two but one was hiding under the rock when pictures were taken and I did not feel like disturbing him.

where did you get the larve from?

thanks

I found them in a small local stream that is full of life, such as macroinvertebrates, snails, crawdads and such and they are the only amphibians I've found. I haven't seen any adults there and I caught them by sweeping my net through the marginal plants in the water.

Blue gravel looks poor.

If the larvae live in the stream, IMO you should provide them moving water. How are the water changes?

Do you mean the blue gravel is in poor condition or just gives the impression of poorness? Either way it was just leftover gravel that I had and I did not feel like getting new gravel, whatever works.

There is a current as the filter is pumped by an air pump meant for 10 gallon tanks and the tank it is in is rather small, between 3-4 gallons. The stream that they were living is did not have that much of a current but it was not still. I do partial water changes weekly.

I meant the looking of gravel, but simultaneously i don't acclaim painted gravel in aquarium. Never enough caution :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back