Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

E. tricolor garding eggs

U

uwe

Hi dart frog fans,

E.tricolor (man) guarding his eggs.
27765.jpg

A

alan

Very nice. Are you going to pull the eggs or let the parent(s) drop off the tads?

U

uwe

Hi Alan,

in this case (the eggs were pretty much hidden by the second leaf) I waited for app. 5 days before retrieving and "raising" the eggs.
If they lay more open I try to remove them after a day or so.
Sometimes, when I don´t see the eggs, the frogs care for them.

Uwe

A

alan

It's good the D.tricolor is one of the few species which seems to have retained the parental care behavior after many captive bred generations.

U

uwe

Has it been lost by other species?

BTW it is quite discussed which family tricolor belongs. The newest is Ep. after Ph. and D.
(The frog doesn´t seem to care).

Uwe

A

alan

Oops, typo, should have been E.tricolor.
Yes, sadly many other species seem far more reluctant to give parental care these days.

U

uwe

is this considered due to the removal of the eggs by keepers or is there any other reasoning.

Uwe

E

edward

Hi Uwe,
I had started this discussion on frognet a while back.
If you think about it, there is little to no selective pressure on darts (excepting obligate egg feeders) to rear their own eggs to the tadpole stage as we pull and artificially rear the eggs. Instead we have artificailly placed a selective pressure for frogs that produce more eggs more frequently and do not rear the eggs. (there is a mathmatical model explained in E.O. Wilson's Sociobiology that covers this pretty well).
As very few people allow natural rearing, there are few reports one way or another but I am aware of several that have frogs that do not rear the eggs (usually in the tinctorius group). I have even seen comments about more than one clutche being laid one on top of the other by the same pair....

Ed

U

uwe

Hi Ede,

I am new to the area of Dart frogs, but what I saw with the E.tricolor is that they behave normal. Means carrying on there eggs/tadpoles when I don´t find the eggs and the male is not looking for further breeding as long as the former eggs are in the terrarium and he has to care for them.
Actually, as tricolor is pretty commonly bred, some breeder let the frogs care for their eggs and lower the amount of work on the keeper.

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!