Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Easter Newt Spotting

zoezakella

Reaction score
It seems my parents ponds and water features house quite a few newts :D

So there was I on a lovely sunny day with all my family around me, kids playing, easter egg hunting and me, yes youv'e guessed it, head down snapping away at all these newts, yes a whole hour I did this for with my husband frowning at me and muttering something :lol:

Anyway although as fascinating as they all were, a couple in particular caught my sight, its the ones in pictures 193 204 221 238, is this a smooth newt as the rest are??

I know there are male and females in the piccies but this other newt had as I could only describe (sorry) giraffe type markings :happy:

Anyway would be interested in your opinions. Thanks Zoe

Attachments

• Easter 190.jpg
    Easter 190.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Easter 193.jpg
    Easter 193.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Easter 195.jpg
    Easter 195.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Easter 204.jpg
    Easter 204.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 281
  • Easter 221.jpg
    Easter 221.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Easter 238.jpg
    Easter 238.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Easter 241.jpg
    Easter 241.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Easter 260.jpg
    Easter 260.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks thought it was was just more striking than the others but maybe that was because he had a crest :happy:

Molch

Reaction score
those are some nice water plants too. Is that a Potamogeton in the first pic?

zoezakella

Reaction score
LOL Molch I could agree with you and try and act knowledgable on this one but sorry no idea on pond plants :blush: will ask my Dad :happy:

Aaran

Reaction score
Did you find any great crested newts?

Im hoping to go to the canal this weekend and the local nature reserve, (supposedly they have newts there)

I did find some great crested newts 3 years ago in the canal so maybe!

Nice shots and good hunting xD

Dave1812

Reaction score
Please note: That you do have to be licensed to disturb GCN in the UK - otherwise you could be facing a large fine and even imprisonment!

zoezakella

Reaction score
Did you find any great crested newts?

Im hoping to go to the canal this weekend and the local nature reserve, (supposedly they have newts there)

I did find some great crested newts 3 years ago in the canal so maybe!

Nice shots and good hunting xD

Hi Aaron,

Sorry only just seen this!

Sadly not but we live on the fields and we have three areas around us that have the GCN, amazing newt and had to take one into a local wildlife centre last year as it was dehydrated, ended up being filmed for the one show because of it.

As Dave says be careful they are highly protected :)

Aaran

Reaction score
I only found them by chance, i was aiming on catching tadpoles and caught about 10 of them on my hunt, of course i released them, however that was when i didnt understand the protection etc.

I didnt think i would find newts in the canal but i did!

zoezakella

Reaction score
I only found them by chance, i was aiming on catching tadpoles and caught about 10 of them on my hunt, of course i released them, however that was when i didnt understand the protection etc.

I didnt think i would find newts in the canal but i did!

Nice :)

Dont think a lot of people do, I didn't when I found one either :)

Dave1812

Reaction score
Just to let you good people know - as soon as you discover that you have disturbed GCN's you should stop that activity - failure to do so would be breaking the law, this even includes looking via the aide of a spot light- unless you have the license, this also applies to the Natterjack Toad, which has the same level of protection.

Aaran

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise !

Yeah was purely acidental released straight away, kept catching them accidentally aha, was during the day so no spotlights :)

im going down to the same canal soon, i think they have some smooth and palmate newts near the area hoping to see a few :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1