Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern Newt Behavior?

Reaction score
Posting on this specific thread within hopes that someone with knowledge of this specific species knows anything about my newt's behavior.

So I have an Eastern Newt Eft and he is currently terrestrial only, no morph yet. Long story short he is the lone survivor amongst 2 of my other newts who sadly passed away. A week ago we had an outbreak of some sort in their terrarium. I prepared some new coconut coir and isolated all of them and added the new bedding to each. It's been 3 days since the first 2 passed away, and its been a week now since the isolation. My little survivor has since began shedding a bit, for the last day and a half. He only got it down to his neck though. I didnt wanna disturb him because I though he may be trying to rid himself of any traces of infection.

But today I checked on him and dampened his substrate and noticed he was kinda trying to burrow and was vigorously pushing his little head down. I didn't know if it was normal rubbing or if he was stressed or maybe a sign that there was still a parasite of some kind. He seemed generally uncomfy.

Although its worthy to note, my 2 other newts who passed were killed within days of the outbreak despite isolation and they became really skinny and refused food. 😞 However this guy ate 2 days ago and since seems to be holding onto his chunkiness pretty good.

I heard they can get lethargic and lack appetite when shedding too.

But my question is, is this semi normal shedding behavior or signs of an underlying issue? How do I stress him out less?

Are warmer or colder temps better for fighting potential infection in terrestrial newts?

Should I try to get him to a vet before it's too late?

Just trying to resolve if this is a sign he's trying to heal himself or a sign that he is sick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1