Eastern newt Eft coloration?

TheNewtGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I was hoping to get some information as to when an Eastern newt eft will start to turn orange. I can't seem to find any info on this. My eft is about 2 inches from head to tail and definitely seems to be about the same size compared to others that I've seen in the wild that already have their orange coloration.

So my question is when does it start to turn orange or perhaps what causes the change in coloration? Is it due to what they eat in the wild? I've had this little eft since October.

Thanks

I think the orange coloration is due to erythrophore or xanthophore in their skin.
And these chromatophores get most of its color pigment from food. Carotenoids are very imporatant color pigment. So, you might better feed your feeder insects carotenoid rich foods like krill or carrot or anything else you can find.

Related paper↓

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ation_in_False_Tomato_Frogs_Dyscophus_guineti

https://zslpublications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-1795.2012.00536.x

Are you sure it's an Eastern Newt? Other Notophthalmus generally skip the red eft phase.

Also, not every juvenile goes through a nice red eft stage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most of my juveniles starts with a nearly adult coloration and switch to the orange colors after a few weeks. Only one had the orange coloration when it goes through the metamorphosis. Here it has nothing to do with the diet.

Are you sure it's an Eastern Newt? Other Notophthalmus generally skip the red eft phase.

Also, not every juvenile goes through a nice red eft stage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi, yup I'm positive. I found it in the tank with my adults and my adults are definitely Eastern newts. My adults have been courting so I know they ended up laying eggs at some point. The newt came onto land in October and is growing and eating just fine. The upload is a current picture.

Also, @red newt and Thomas F --- I've read about carotenoids pertaining to pigmentation, although I was under the impression this usually affects the vibrancy of the red spots and a lack of carotenoids resulting in a more yellow spot coloration.

Attachments

• 20200327_124517.jpg
    20200327_124517.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 478
  • 20200327_124455.jpg
    20200327_124455.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 337
I would have to say it's skipping the red eft stage.

Last edited:
I would have to say it's skipping the red eft stage.

Interesting. How common is this among Noto. v. viridescens and how long do you think until it may be appropriate to introduce a shallow water bowl? Currently, I lightly mist the enclosure to keep up with moisture.

Interesting. How common is this among Noto. v. viridescens and how long do you think until it may be appropriate to introduce a shallow water bowl? Currently, I lightly mist the enclosure to keep up with moisture.
I don't know the numbers on how common it is but I have heard of it a few times. As for trying to keep it aquatic, I've never heard of juvenile Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens entering the water before breeding age. Doesn't mean it's not possible though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back