Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern Newt with bump near where the tail meets the body

longboard2020

Reaction score
Hello, I have had 4 Eastern Newts in a 10 gallon tank for over a year and all are eating well and appear to be healthy. A few months ago three of the four developed a light colored bump approximately near where their tail meets their body. Their behavior has not seemed to change as they are all active and good eaters. I have a chiller maintaining the tank around 67 F and I keep the water very clean with a filter and frequent water changes. The tank has a few live plants and a black sand bottom along with good size smooth stones resting on the sand. There is also a piece of drift would at the bottom of the tank. The only other living things in the tank are 3 snails. I am very curious what these bump are on three of my newts. There have not been any additions or changes to the tank for at least 6+ months and the bumps on the newts have been there for at least 3 months. There is only one bump on each of the 3 newts, the fourth and significantly larger newt does not have this bump. I should also add that all 4 of my Eastern Newts are now completely aquatic and never leave the water. I appreciate any thoughts as to what this bump might be and if it is an indicator of something I need to try and remedy.
Thank you
-Sean

IMG_20200429_112242.jpg

IMG_20200429_112306.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1