Eastern Newt with bump near where the tail meets the body

longboard2020

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have had 4 Eastern Newts in a 10 gallon tank for over a year and all are eating well and appear to be healthy. A few months ago three of the four developed a light colored bump approximately near where their tail meets their body. Their behavior has not seemed to change as they are all active and good eaters. I have a chiller maintaining the tank around 67 F and I keep the water very clean with a filter and frequent water changes. The tank has a few live plants and a black sand bottom along with good size smooth stones resting on the sand. There is also a piece of drift would at the bottom of the tank. The only other living things in the tank are 3 snails. I am very curious what these bump are on three of my newts. There have not been any additions or changes to the tank for at least 6+ months and the bumps on the newts have been there for at least 3 months. There is only one bump on each of the 3 newts, the fourth and significantly larger newt does not have this bump. I should also add that all 4 of my Eastern Newts are now completely aquatic and never leave the water. I appreciate any thoughts as to what this bump might be and if it is an indicator of something I need to try and remedy.
Thank you
-Sean

IMG_20200429_112242.jpg

IMG_20200429_112306.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back