Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern Newt?

K

kelsey

I need help determining if the eggs I found are eastern newt eggs. I'm not going to take then from their habitat, but I'd to observe them and know what they are. I'll try to post some picture later. The only clue I have to them being eastern newt eggs is I found one right next to it in the water. There are two broods, one smaller than the other. They have black dots in the center and look like they have some algea on them. They aren't very submerged, just at the surface. I will be posting pictures.

J

jennifer

Kelsey, eastern newts eggs would be white or gray in the center, not black. Eastern newts lay their eggs singly, usually wrapping each one in a folded-over plant leaf. They would be very hard to find unless you were looking for them.

K

kelsey

Do you know what the eggs belong to then? I live in central Virginia and found the eggs in a small stream.

(Message edited by kelsey17 on March 16, 2004)

J

jennifer

Most likely some kind of frog/toad. Beyond that, I have no clue.

L

leanne

If they are in a big cluster, they could be wood frog eggs this time of year and in your area. Do they look like this?
13299.jpg

If they are in a long strand, they are most likely toad eggs, although it is a little early yet for them to be laying eggs.
happy.gif

K

kelsey

Yes, Leanne, they looked a lot like that. Most likely that's them. I'm afraid they may have been washed away, it rained all day yesterday and the normally stillwater pond was rushing by. It's really too bad...

K

kelsey

I'll keep an eye out for them when the creek settles. Hopefully they're okay!
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1