Eastern newts!....

If you mean Eastern Newts, no; I don't know of anyone who breeds them successfully in captivity in the US. If you mean newts in general, keep an eye on our For Sale section.

If you mean Eastern Newts, no; I don't know of anyone who breeds them successfully in captivity in the US. If you mean newts in general, keep an eye on our For Sale section.

Out of curiosity, Do you know why they aren't CB? Is it that the demand isn't there, or are they notoriously picky about "business hours"?

Out of curiosity, Do you know why they aren't CB? Is it that the demand isn't there, or are they notoriously picky about "business hours"?
All of the above. There's some demand, but people are used to paying about $5 each for this species, and it costs more than that to CB them. In my experience, they don't breed every year, so they aren't a species that a breeder can rely on every year. And the eft stage is notoriously difficult to raise.

Tyzoone, sorry to hear you lost another one. I hope the rest of them are okay.

I wish I had come across this forum before I got into caring for newts. I'm glad that at least I know about it now and will never pick up a WC newt again.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Hey guys here's another photo! My question is what is the difference between these two Eastern newts because their coloration is so different! Is this a reflection of health, local, age etc? They were from different distributers via a local petshop. Also, how to I embed the actual photo into my message instead of doing attachments?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• newts3.jpg
    newts3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 388
Hey guys,

Looks like the last of my batch of 4 I bought from a local shop is about to pass. He was sitting on a plant and tipped over on his back and sat there upside down for several minutes. He has been sluggish for several days now. . .Is he just sleeping? Is there anything I can do now? I've tried isolating him from the tank in his own with good clean water. I think I'll keep him in isolation over night.

Out of curiosity, what are the chances these were all WC easterns? Seems odd that all 4 would pass within a month... They all seemed to have trouble noticing frozen blood worms which makes me think they were all WC. Speaking of which, I can't seem to find live blood worms anywhere. Any advice on good places on the west coast that have a good reputation on this site?

No, it's not sleeping, it's dying.

what are the chances these were all WC easterns?

~100%.

Rodrigo was right. The last of the 4 I bought from the petshop locally has died. They didn't last past 4 weeks. I have officially given up on petshops.... I've been browsing online and found Backwater Reptiles. I noticed there are a few posts on Caudata about this company. The company claims they do not believe in anything but CB reptiles and I wonder how true they stay to it. If anyone has any input let me know. I'll be looking at more Notos or maybe some chinese fire bellies.

I do still have one eastern left from the same shot (not from the same distributer) and he is super active and eating well. Sad days I guess but lessons learned. Stay away from your petshops WC newts!

If your heart is set on Noto's would it be possible to obtain the relevant permits and collect some efts or even larvae yourself? At least that way you aren't supporting mass collections for the pet trade, and hopefully the animals you collect won't be on death's door due to months of incorrect care while in transit and at pet stores.
There were a lot of eastern newts imported into the UK a few years back and I don't know of a single one that's survived, I didn't buy any, but I know a few people who did, and even with the correct care they all died, sometimes for no apparent reason, seemingly healthy, active and feeding one day, then dead the next.

This thread is getting to be a depressing one. The last of my 5 easterns has passed today. He was super active up until about 3 days ago and then he stopped eating. They all went this route. They stopped eating and then 2 to 3 days later they passed. Ive only had them a few months but this is the lessons learned the hard way from buying wild caught newts and local shops. My advice to all is to find captive bread solutions . . . At least I can take a step back and re evaluate my setup and whatnot. I'm going to get my tank in pristine condition before the next ones come along. Probably going to go way bigger as well. Thanks for all your input you guys have been a huge help!

Those are some truly attractive newts, I want some of these in the worst way. Sorry I don't have answers but I'm sorry that the 2 perished. Best of luck with the rest.

I know one member on here (Justin, I think) has had success keeping wild caught Notos alive and healthy by adding leaves to his setups, so the water has a lot of tannins. Dried oak leaves should work or Indian almond leaves, if you want to buy them.

I agree with Chinadog. If you buy from any pet shop or online vendor, you're supporting mass collection and wholesale/retail, which causes some animals to die even before you see them. You won't find CB unless you buy from the breeder themself. I don't know where you are in the US, but there is probably a local species you could collect a few of and have less impact on wild populations. And have some fun outdoors at the same time;)

Sorry for my post, was using my ipod and didn't see there was 2 pages. I'm really sorry they didn't make it. I have always wanted some eastern newts in the worst way but it kinda sounds like they may not be the best option for a pet. Also in Mn I'm not really sure how to acquire any. I'd really hate to get some only to have the same experience as you :( I rather liked the Japanese firebellys I used to have, good size and robust easy to care for. Maybe be another option to you?

I agree. My first newt was a Japanese Fire Belly Newt from a local pet shop. It died within a week from a fungal infection and I got another from there to replace it. It died within a few days and I didn't get any more newts for years. I have gotten multiple wild caught Eastern newts since then, now with only one remaining and I highly recommend getting captive bred newts. I have had no problems with any of my captive bred newts or salamanders on here and they are all well and healthy. Wild caught animals also in my experience (Jackson's chameleon that died within a month despite my best efforts) tend to not acclimate well to captivity abd be in worse health. Captive beer animals are more expensive but I would highly recommend them. I don't know what kind of set up you are looking to have but you can frequently find newts like Spanish Ribbed Newts, a hardy robust newt that is easy to take care of. My fiance has a couple and they have been great. I myself have a couple sword tail newts which I would also recommend. Look in the caudata culture under the species caresheets for more information and it may help you decide if you decide to get a different species of newt.

Minnesota does have a native population of Notophthalmus viridescens. I've personally seen them in the wild while fishing across the state. MN DNR requires you have a fishing license to acquire them. If you live near the Twin Cities I would recommend Twin Cities Reptiles. Unlike most pet stores shunned in these forums (deservedly so IMO); they know Herps and always have quality animals.

They really need clean but well aged water. Get some Oak leaves in there to help condition the water. About 6 per every 10 gallon of water. They will also hide in them. Fill the tank with elodea (anacharis) plants. They like to climb and lay eggs in those. Feed them live black worms and chopped mouth sized earthworms. Also check them over for leaches. I have seen many wild caught Notos with little tiny leaches on them. A quick salt bath will take care of any.

Thanks for the tips for all coastal groovin. I'll remember that if I ever acquire any. Oak leaves shouldn't be a problem, it's the only kind of trees I have in my yard.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back