Eating Habits of a California Newt??

H

hailee

I have a 6" california newt that is exteremly lazy. I have try to feed him all sorts of stuff pellets, crickets, worms, and meal worms. 99% of the time he ignores it complete until you can see all of his ribs. I have also try putting him in a seperate contianer and feeding him, but he goes crazy in the seperate tank...since i never pick him and i bet he is confused. I was wondering if anybody was in this situation before, and how did you fix it? or has anybody heard of this or knows the cure to lazy newts?

Thankx,
AnImAl-InSaNe5

Hi Hailee,

Seeing all ribs is not good. This means he's sick and you might have to nurse him back a tiny bit at a time.

Try cutting a night crawler up and put the bloody part near its nose. You might see it give some interest, try to grab it, then lose interest. It's kind of like feeding a finicky baby. Keep at it until it finally gives a bite.

I wouldn't feed it as much as it can eat all at once, if it's skinny enough to see ribs, daily small feedings maybe the best way to go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back