Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Panic in the Otter household! I'm on the phone with Grumpet and feeding my newts. Suddenly I see eggs in E&E's tank! "Oh my God! They've finally laid eggs! I've got to go!" I said.
"Who laid eggs?" In my panic, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the species (Tylo. verr.).
"Eddie and Elektra! ... You know, the chinese ones..." After a bit I finally stammer, "The crocodile newts!" And what does Grumpet say? You will never believe this. (Remember, he's a marine biologist, and introduced me to newts.) "Newts lay EGGS??"
Either he feels my panic, or he NEVER LISTENS TO a thing I say. I mean, I never shut up about my newts. How many times have I mentioned getting eggs in the mail, raising eggs, waiting for eggs, laying eggs, and hatching eggs? I hope he was joking. He'll never live this one down.

Anyway on to the miracle. For those who don't know, I raised one from a larva, and the other I got very young (both from M. Shrom). Luckily they turned out to be a male and female. Eddie is a year younger than Elektra. Lately I've been thinking that Elektra looks as big as a house, and chalked it up to the extremely large slugs I've been feeding her lately.

I've raised other eggs, but never this species. The eggs look as big as A. maculatum eggs, which I've also raised. I'm sure they're fertile, and I've collected about 25 so far. I immediately (after the panic left and I could remember what to do) set up an egg tank and started collecting them and removing them from E&E's tank.

She laid on silk plants, some java moss I have growing in there, and on tank decorations. Some of the silk leaves she laid on were not actually in the water (maybe 1/2 -1 inch above the water), which I found interesting. Since I've cut many of the silk leaves to shreds removing the eggs just now, I put some egg laying strips I'd make earlier for other species in the tank; I think she may still have many eggs left and she can use them.

I'm hoping that when they hatch they will be large enough to eat chopped blackworms. I don't want to use pond water, since I don't want to introduce any wild "stuff" into them, but I will use a sort of "dirty water" method (I'm hoping by the time they hatch, the water will be a bit cycled; I started with one gallon of water from the parents' tank, and two gallons of treated water.)

If anyone wants to offer any tips, since I've never raised this species, please do.

I've posted on these two favorites of mine before, and often. If anyone is interested, start here:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52345

Attachments

Last edited:

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Daniel
Congratulations, Kaysie!

I am raising Tylototriton verrucosus for the first time, too (I had some eggs sent). The first bunch hatched and I can tell you that mine are tiny so you will have difficulties with chopped blackworm. I started to feed mine with Artemia.

edit: of course I meant Dawn, sorry...I have to slow down parallel reading in different tabs

Ralf

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!

Congratulations on this breeding success, Dawn. ;) Raising them will be lots of fun. A good starter for the larvae (after yolk sac resorption) are Artemia nauplii, like Daniel already wrote. Small freshwater plancton like tiny Daphnia or Moina will also be okay initially. They're hogs and show cannibalistic tendencies later on, so be prepared to provide lots of food like bloodworms or white worms. You should also regularly sort them according to size or some will miraculously vanish. :D

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Heh, it's Dawn, Daniel, not Kaysie. Dawn, congratulations.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's awesome, Dawn! I have no useful information to add besides congratulations and don't let Grumpet get away with his mistake.

freves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Foster Reves
...and I'll add my congratulations as well.
Chip

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Wow! Congrats Dawn!

I have noticed that there are a few Tylotritons laying eggs this year.

Dawn, can you post any tips for those looking to breed this species? Food items, temps, total enclosure space, lighting, aproximate ages of Eddie & Elektra? I think this information will help others have a miracle of their own!

louise

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Louise Selfridge
Well done Dawn! Good luck with the eggs.

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Great job Dawn! The eggs look like they're already a few days old. If you have a large tub somewhere or a spare tank you can easily culture Daphnia for the babies.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
I wish it was me! This is fabulous news, Grandma... er, Dawn.

petro

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
petro
Hoi,
Gongratulations,They are great looking when they are a few weeks and really when you see that
they are good eating you will be suprised.;)
Because they will eat tubifex(don't now in english:confused:)in a verry early stage also.:rofl:
You must be luky with them!:grin:
Petro

rigsby

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Ian Rigg
Hi Dawn and congrats, try not to hatch the eggs to warm as they will hatch early and be very small. I know you said you don't want to use pond water but its what i use in the early stages with all my larvae with great success. As they grow you may find a few with tail ends missing if you don't keep them provided with a constant supply of food, once you get them on to daphnia it should be plain sailing then you can move onto blood or black worm for the rest of their development.
Good luck....Ian

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Congrats Dawn. Hopefully my adults will hear about Eddie and Elektra and get the idea.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. This is the most exciting thing to happen to me all summer!

I know you said you don't want to use pond water
When Daniel and Ralf said how small they hatch, I had to rethink my plan. (I've always used pond water before). I have that backyard pond right
now made out of a bathtub, so I took some of that water, added two algae tabs, two pieces of cat food, and a pinch of yeast. We'll see what comes up! I did that before and it seemed to work.
Also I will definitely try and sort them to size. This will be the most challenging eggs/larvae I've raised yet!

On another note, I can't believe how hungry Elektra is. I fed her two huge slugs yesterday, and she was begging for more food today, I gave her two worms. Eddie is not eating and hiding (smart man). I don't understand, when my sister was in labor, she didn't want to eat a thing.

Michael: If I'm a grandmother, you're a great-grandfather!

can you post any tips for those looking to breed this species?
I've fretted and posted about these two since I got them. I've altered their enclosure recently (they really only went aquatic in April). If anyone is interested in learning more about them, check out the link in the top post, which leads to more posts on these two. They are pretty well chronicled!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found this post - congratulations, Dawn! Finding unexpected eggs is really a thrill, and it's even a thrill to read about it happening to someone else:D

The eggs are looking good! It's quite likely they will be able to take chopped blackworms from the start.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
Re: Electrons already!

Precocious little things! Good luck, Dawn.

Ciddian

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Electrons already!

Look at that!!! How cool! Congrats big time! :3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1