Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg yolk emergency Axolotl baby food???!

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
Hi guys, I remember seeing a post once about using egg yolk as emergency baby axolotl food and I can't find the post ANYWHERE. I can't remember how this method works, or how the yolk is prepared/what to do.
I was wondering if anyone on here knows this method and is willing to explain it to me.
I really hope someone can help me x

Reaction score
I recall reading that, too. That individual boiled the egg and fed the yolk to them in small pieces.
I tried it myself and the babies showed no interest. They are stimulated by movement first; when they're a bit older they're stimulated by scent. If they're at that stage they may go for the yolk; if they aren't they probably won't touch it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
Thank you, I think movement could be simulated by lightly moving the water but of course this could be detrimental to the larvae. It's a lose/lose situation, unfortunately! :(

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Moving the water slightly wouldn't be detrimental. But you would need to perform 100% water changes after every feed. As a last resort it might work for some

SallyMills

Reaction score
It sounds weird. I've never tried this method. I've never heard of it. I buy baby Apple and carrot puree for my baby, there are a lot of vitamins and it is very tasty. We need to be very careful about the products that we buy and feed our children. I also buy milk formula for my baby and I am very careful about the ingredients that are included in this product. For example, the milk formula that I order from this site Holle Stage 2 Cow consists of exclusively natural ingredients, vitamins and minerals that are useful and necessary for the growth and development of my baby.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!