Eggs have arrived!!

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Morgan
So as you all know I was looking forward to my possible eggs from my albino pair Kit and Kip, as I saw them doing their 'dance' last Friday but I was disappointed that no eggs were dropped by Kip during the past week. However when I get home from work today (About an hour ago) I saw my albino pair shaking and doing the dance so I decided to leave them to it. I go to feed my dark pair, Axel (Boy) and Glenn (Female) and I noticed these black things on the sand! I am 90% sure these are eggs and would love to hear from you guys :) I moved them into a tiny container about 8" by 5" with a small air stone just in case. However I only saw these 6 :eek: If an axie laid eggs, would they only lay 6? Imagine my surprise when it was the other pair that bred :grin: So thanks and any help is appreciated :)

P.S, here is a pic of the new momma ;)

Attachments

• DSCF9264.jpg
    DSCF9264.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9269.jpg
    DSCF9269.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCF9286.jpg
    DSCF9286.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF9291.jpg
    DSCF9291.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF9288.jpg
    DSCF9288.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 229
Have a quick read of this :D
Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully

They do look egg like to me though haha

She may not be done laying, or they might have eaten some i dont really know haha, mine have been doing the dance for around 6 weeks but im yet to see any eggs, they just do what they want lol :confused:

They tend to lay eggs in little batches, mine did batches of 6-10 every 20 minutes or so.
But if she doesn't produce more she may just be 'leaking' a few unfertilised eggs - some females do this.

Went to check on my parents again and decided to do a more thorough look at their tank and found 12 more axolotl eggs, which makes 15 so far as 3 were white, cloudy, and fuzzy. Is it possible to know which eggs aren't fertilized after they've been hatched or do I keep a lookout for more fuzzy white eggs? There is one egg that seems exactly half dark brown and half light brown, does this mean the egg is a dud? the rest seem to look like the picture below. Any help is appreciated :eek:

Attachments

• wildtype_eggs.jpg
    wildtype_eggs.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 124
If its cloudy and fuzzy, its not fertalised.
If you unsure on any, keep them in a seperate from than the 'good' eggs and see how they develop :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back