Eggs please help im new at this!!!

Danny2502

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently acquired some axie eggs from a friends unrealted pair, I have around 100 in the tank at the minuet but will be cutting this down to around 25-30 once I know there fertile by giving the eggs away to friends.

I have them in a 2ft tank at the minuet with an air stone one side and the water temperature is around 22 degrees centigrade. Will this be ok until they hatch?

I have 10 plastic containers that measure 25x18x9 cm (Length x Width x Depth) and have a 3 litre fluid capacity, how many hatchlings could I hold in these? I was hoping for 2-3 per container but I could always buy more of them.

Thanks for all your help, Dan

Do you have any live food ready for them, if not then it would be a better idea if you had the temperature much lower than that, so you can get live food (ie mosquito larvae, daphnia, baby brineshrimp) ready for when they hatch. Otherwise you'll have close to a 100 hatching within a few days or fortnight.

I have 40 axolotl larvae (hatched a week ago) and keep them in 3 icecream containers that measure 20cm x 20cm square with a 2litre water capacity. I feed them with daphnia, tiny bloodworm and tiny mosquito larvae. I waterchange some of the water daily, sucking any waste out with a turkey baster (little dark spots on the bottom). As they grow I'll separate them into smaller numbers per container and then eventually transfer them to one of the tanks. We don't use an airstone and water temperature in each tub ranges from 15-16C during the day to about 10-12C at night.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a source of daphnia, through an aqautics store, and a friend who is cultureing them for me, about 30-50% have turned to a sort of bean shape but the others look like they did on day one does this mean there infurtile?

thanks for your help kapo:D

after hatching

they are giong to hatch pretty soon at 22 degrees. You might want to think about culturing some brine shrimps too. They are just the right size when newly hatched.
Have a look at:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
You can catch the newly hatched BS with a torch to attract them and a pipette, (a mini turkey baster)
Good luck!

Eggs develop at slightly different speeds... so don't give up on the non 'bean-looking' eggs just yet. If after another few days they are not turning 'bean-like' then you can be pretty sure they're infertile. The infertile eggs tend to go a bit milky/murky looking too if I can remember.

Hi guys, I've been busy lately with a new batch of hatchlings - found a great way of feeding them.

I usually pond dip - however, cold weather means less daphnia.

So, I got two buckets - filled them with green water and some rotting lilly pads - did a bit of pond dipping for some fresh wild daphnia; put them in - within a week the bucket was crawling with water fleas.

I have a fine net; each day I dip it in and bring out LOADS of daphina. ...these must be the best fed larvae I've raised to date :)

Currently using alternate bucket each week, topping up with green water when it starts to clear.

I keep the buckets in the hall - not too warm, but plenty of natural light. The wild daphnia seems a lot more hardy than the pet shop stuff - plus it's smaller, and seems to be living happily with the Axolotls until it's eaten. :)

Hope this helps. Cheers, Phil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back