Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

EGGS!

Wyn1993

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, although, I use these forums a lot to look for advice on my axolotls.

I noticed on Monday that my golden albino and my wild type had gone through the process of laying eggs. Tuesday morning, eggs were being laid all over the tank.
I am brand new to this, but would really like to support these little eggs development!

I have got a 60litre tank, filter, and air stone that I was hoping to put this in - is this tank size okay or too big? Also, do I need to do water changes regularly? And when should these start - whilst they are eggs, after hatching?
I have also been researching foods and things for them 72hrs after hatching, I keep finding things about daphnia, could I use blood worm and brine shrimp? I realise these must be live - would I just leave the food in the tank or feed them with tongs 1 by 1?

I also saw temperature is important - currently the eggs are in 22degree celcius water, is this okay or too warm for them?

I am sorry for all the questions - this was rather unexpected and a tank divider, I hope will prevent this occurrence in the near future.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has in the process of rearing axolotls, and anything I might have missed from my questions above.

Many thanks in advance,
Wyn

xxianxx

Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is decide how many eggs your going to raise, twenty is a good amount for a first attempt. I would keep the eggs around 20c. Do a single water change half way through development or if the water turns bad, use light aeration, remove dud eggs, add almond leaf to prevent fungus. First foods are micro worms , daphnia and /or newly hatched brine shrimp. Bloodworm will be too big initially.

xxianxx

Reaction score

Wyn1993

Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is decide how many eggs your going to raise, twenty is a good amount for a first attempt. I would keep the eggs around 20c. Do a single water change half way through development or if the water turns bad, use light aeration, remove dud eggs, add almond leaf to prevent fungus. First foods are micro worms , daphnia and /or newly hatched brine shrimp. Bloodworm will be too big initially.
Hey,
Thanks for this - I have kept them all, probably a bad idea - they seem to be changing so I suppose that is rather positive. I have got aeration in the tank and a plant (not sure if this is necessary).
Thank you, I will have a look at the link you sent over.

xxianxx

Reaction score
It takes a couple weeks for them to hatch, you can put them in the fridge to slow development. I would be happy to buy a large amount.

Wyn1993

Reaction score
Ah, I had read you can put them in the fridge!
I am okay with how they are developing at the moment though - rather interesting to see.
I simply improvise as I go along at the moment, with plenty of research. Eggs or juveniles you would be interested in?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Eggs are easier to ship, two methods of shipping, put them in a bottle of water, or my preffered method, put in a dvd case, seal wth tape, it can be put through a letter box and its cheaper. Let me know what you want for your surplus eggs and how many there are.

Wyn1993

Reaction score
Eggs are easier to ship, two methods of shipping, put them in a bottle of water, or my preffered method, put in a dvd case, seal wth tape, it can be put through a letter box and its cheaper. Let me know what you want for your surplus eggs and how many there are.
I am not sure how many exactly. I think about 100 give or take. Luckily not too many. I am looking into food bits. I followed the thread above and the links you added are no longer working.

Wyn1993

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for this, it is extremely helpful, would you be interested in having some of these eggs? I am unsure of their worth and therefore would not know what to price them at - I was thinking £1 an egg?
Some do have sand on them, not sure if this is an issue, I have simply left them alone (aside from moving them to a separate tank)!

I would probably seek to do next day delivery and ensure they are boxed up really tight as I would be unsure how this would affect them.

Let me know.
Thanks

xxianxx

Reaction score
Dont worry about the sand. Axolotl eggs ship fine as long as packaged correctly and its not too hot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!