Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eheim Aquaball internal aquarium filters

J

john

I discovered these a few weeks ago and acquired two today. Here's what they look like:

<center>
11617.jpg
</center>

And you can read about them over at Eheim's site: http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/english/produktdetails/neuigkeiten.jsp?id=21703

I have yet to set them up but I am very impressed by the new design. The output can be orientated in many directions and the flow can be regulated (with some effort the motor ball can roll around in its socket). They are also modular so you can add extra cages to the bottom if you need to increase the filter area. Perhaps my favourite addition is the fact that the water enters the filter from all directions so the input is gentler. I'm hoping this means I can put Daphnia in the same tank as the smallest of these filters.

Apart from the smallest one in the series, all of the aquaballs come with a little canister inside the filter for holding other filter media such as EhfiSubstrat (which is what I'll be using it for) so they don't just rely on the foam/sponge.

I'll be putting these to the test over the next few weeks and I'll let you know what I think.

J

john

I forgot to say that another clever change from the previous series of filters is the rounded output nozzle - it's ideal for attaching tubes, which I have always wanted to do with internal filters to create spray bars but I have never been able to do so before now.

Let me add that I've been buying Eheim filters for the last 6 years and given recent experience with an Interpet filter I have no intention to ever buy a non-Eheim again.

M

mark

Thanks for the info John.
How about prices?
I'm currently using a fluval 2 in my Paramesotriton tank and you can buy spray bars to fit on to it and other various attachments.
Mark

J

john

I believe the RRP in the UK for the 2008 (the second smallest one, pitched at 30-60 Litre tanks) is £24.95. I gave up on Fluvals a few years ago - they were ok but the Eheims going around at the same time were just better performers. I don't know what the current crop of Fluvals are like.

M

matthew

I usually opt for Fluval but I have tried the new Eheim powerballs with community fishtanks and they are very, very good. Inspired design plus quality manufacturing.
My only gripe with Eheim is I have considered their media to be excessively priced in the past and have usually used other brands inside them.

J

john

Well I know what you mean about the "solid" media such as EfiSubstrat and EfiMech. However, I have to say that they make their foam inserts so well that I have never replaced the ones in my two baby eheims that I acquired 3 years ago (and are still in constant use to this day). Obviously I wash the media in tank water occasionally but I've never had to replace it...

I just set up the Aquaball 2008 about an hour ago. I replaced the super fine sponge in the media box with Efisubstrat. I'll let you know how I get on.

M

matthew

Re media, I'd say Efi-off-and-buy-something-cheaper-instead ;-)
The "current crop" of Fluvals (internal and external) are superb but yes, the Eheim sponge inserts are in a league of their own; the bigger internal Fluvals have a sponge insert that is divided in two... why bother?
Can we ask which species the Aquaball is to be used for first, John (apart from Daphnia!)?

J

john

The second smallest one is for Tylototriton verrucosus adults and the baby one is for my Cynops ensicauda popei larvae when they're a little bigger than they currently are.

A

aaron

John, I agree, they are great filters and Eheim is the ONLY way to go. I have several of the aquaballs, but if my memory serves me correctly, they only suck in water from the bottom. I only have 2006's, so maybe that is why they suck from the bottom only.

~Aaron

M

matthew

I'm probably splitting hairs now but I just wanted to revisit this to add a footnote. Feb's Practical Fishkeeping Magazine pointed out two more advantages of the Aquaball over Fluvals, namely an extra year of guarantee and a superior fixing bracket (if you use it).
Still love Fluvals though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1