Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eisenia hortensis culture

JoshBA

Reaction score
This is a Rubbermaid bin I am using to culture European nightcrawlers. The substrate I used was ~6 inches of coco-fiber with various vegetables mixed in.
joshba-albums-eisenia-hortensis-culture-picture29002-20130606-200652.jpeg

JoshBA

Reaction score
Okay, here's a pic. The worms are always attempting massive breakouts. Its kind of irritating to wake up to a graveyard of 30 dried worms all over your floor! Now I'm in the process of plugging up all the ventilation holes on the sides. Their food is starting to decompose a little more so hopefully they won't have as much of an urge to escape!
joshba-albums-eisenia-hortensis-culture-picture29002-20130606-200652.jpeg

tcbemis

Reaction score
Leave a light on over the tub for 24 hours, works like a charm. They'll stay down after that.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but curious what size ventilation holes they can fit through? I am thinking of siliconing fiberglass insect screening in the middle of the lid instead, maybe a 3" vent hole or something?

JoshBA

Reaction score
They'll pretty much find their way through any hole size. Honestly I don't think ventilation is necessary; a loose fitting lid and periodically opening it up should be adequate. I have long since switched to a container with no ventilation or drainage, and the worms are just fine. I think the way I started this out is almost laughable.

Once the substrate was established, meaning there was plenty of microbial activity and decomposition going on, the worms stopped escaping almost entirely. They still climb the sides at night (they are nightcrawlers!), but its been a while since I've found any dried up carcasses on the floor.

As far as breeding goes, they are fairly consistent as long as ample food is provided. They don't mind a substrate like coconut fiber as long its mixed with plenty of 'edible' particles. Shredded cardboard and leaves are good amendments to serve this purpose. Fruits and vegetables that rot quickly should be used (avoid carrots and lettuce new setups). I have found that powdered dietary supplements (like that nasty organic stuff that people put in smoothies,or 'Superfoods') including ground up nuts and spirulina powder work VERY well as food for these worms. But once things start decomposing, almost anything works.

These worms are very moisture tolerant as well. I've kept their culture at an almost 'mud' moisture level for prolonged periods and they were just fine. There's even a small population living in the substrate in one of my planted aquariums. So don't worry if your newts fail to eat them.

herpguy

Reaction score
Very nice, I have much experience with this kind of setup. You can also raise soldier flies (aka "Phoenix worms") in with the worms in the same exact setup.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Do you think they were getting out through the holes or the loose sides of the lid? I've heard there are gasket sealed plastic boxes one can buy, I might go with that if the regular sterilite lids are too insecure.

dano

Reaction score
I keep a lid on the bins that I use. Also, I chop up the garden veggies with a food processor . They will decompose quicker. Also, I put shredded paper on top of the culture to keep flies away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1