Elite mini submersible filter question

Kelly

Reaction score
Country
United States
So since I'm a complete noob when it comes to filters and aquaria in general I spent some time in my local shop looking at filters. I found the Elite mini for a 3 gallon tank, 220 l/hr. It's tiny, doesn't put off heat and has adjustable flow. It seems quiet and doesn't chrun up the water much at all on the lowest setting. It's in a 10 gallon right now and only filled halfway. I have 2 hides and 2 decorations, bare bottom and a betta to start the cycling but I will take him out once levels become dangerous.
I was supposed to get an already cycled tank but that isn't happening now.
Anyone else use these? I can always use it for something else should I need to if it isn't a good idea to use it. Still don't have my babies yet due to weather but that's fine, more time to research.

Axolotls don't really need a filter if you are vigilant with water changes and removing waste from the tank. I don't think a filter that small is going to have a large enough impact to be worth it taking up room in the tank. I'm sure it can't hurt...but I don't think it would be necessary.

i use a small whisper in tank filter. i personally think a filter is good since it helps with some of the waste cleanup.

I have a few of these filters and use them in a couple of different tanks. They are small and convenient, and I like them for that.

Thanks for the input. It seems to be doing an okay job. I would imagine it would okay for the time being since they are still small. With a bare bottom and frequent changes it may serve it's purpose until the 30 is up and going. All depends on how well they like each other then I guess. It will be a bit before they go in together anyway.
Thanks for your advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back