Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency, Axolotl Seizing

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score
Hello, I have an axolotl who I have had for about a year now that I recently removed from her tank and tubbed due to some extremely strange behavior. I first saw this 3 days ago, where she randomly opened her mouth as far as it would stretch and "thrashed" around. It wasn't a very quick thrash, more like a slow and very unnatural looking violent wiggle. I took her out thinking maybe she was just trying to throw up and planned to keep an eye on her. I wondered about impaction, but she ate and pooped a large amount. I figured she may have just been constipated and kept her in the tub for a bit longer to be sure.

Her gills are very curled, her body is losing color. I was going to add her back to the tank today and once again saw her do the same mouth wide open violent wiggle. This time ended up with her laying on her side with her limbs curled up like she was dead for a few moments. She is still pooping. She tried to eat, but when she did open her mouth to eat, it gaped open again, almost like something was stuck. She did a full 360 spin and swam on her back for a few moments.

I can't imagine what she could have eaten, poops look completely normal, a diet of cut rinsed nightcrawlers, very very fine Carribsea sand, she is tong fed at the top of her tank. Temp stays a stable 61-63 typically, never exceeds 66F. 0 ammonia and nitrites, nitrates were slightly high at 40ppm due to a large missed poop but are back down to 10ppm. She is tubbed with daily water changes. No gravel or any small decor she could've eaten. She has one axie tank mate that is not having any issues. No fungus or signs of bacteria present that I can see. Gills not deteriorated. Currently getting twice daily tea baths. When I move her now during water changes she goes very limp in my hand.

When she doesn't have a "fit", her mouth is fully closed as normal. Almost wouldn't be able to tell anything is wrong for the most part aside from her light color and curled gills.

I am planning on fridging her, but I'm so horrified that she could be on her way out. I care for her so much and losing her would be heartbreaking. I just cannot figure out what could be wrong.

Please, I will take any help I can get now and any ideas. I really don't want to lose her.

fishkid

Reaction score
Hello, I have an axolotl who I have had for about a year now that I recently removed from her tank and tubbed due to some extremely strange behavior. I first saw this 3 days ago, where she randomly opened her mouth as far as it would stretch and "thrashed" around. It wasn't a very quick thrash, more like a slow and very unnatural looking violent wiggle. I took her out thinking maybe she was just trying to throw up and planned to keep an eye on her. I wondered about impaction, but she ate and pooped a large amount. I figured she may have just been constipated and kept her in the tub for a bit longer to be sure.

Her gills are very curled, her body is losing color. I was going to add her back to the tank today and once again saw her do the same mouth wide open violent wiggle. This time ended up with her laying on her side with her limbs curled up like she was dead for a few moments. She is still pooping. She tried to eat, but when she did open her mouth to eat, it gaped open again, almost like something was stuck. She did a full 360 spin and swam on her back for a few moments.

I can't imagine what she could have eaten, poops look completely normal, a diet of cut rinsed nightcrawlers, very very fine Carribsea sand, she is tong fed at the top of her tank. Temp stays a stable 61-63 typically, never exceeds 66F. 0 ammonia and nitrites, nitrates were slightly high at 40ppm due to a large missed poop but are back down to 10ppm. She is tubbed with daily water changes. No gravel or any small decor she could've eaten. She has one axie tank mate that is not having any issues. No fungus or signs of bacteria present that I can see. Gills not deteriorated. Currently getting twice daily tea baths. When I move her now during water changes she goes very limp in my hand.

When she doesn't have a "fit", her mouth is fully closed as normal. Almost wouldn't be able to tell anything is wrong for the most part aside from her light color and curled gills.

I am planning on fridging her, but I'm so horrified that she could be on her way out. I care for her so much and losing her would be heartbreaking. I just cannot figure out what could be wrong.

Please, I will take any help I can get now and any ideas. I really don't want to lose her.
if all checks out with parameters and temp and there is nothing that could get wedged in her mouth, it sounds like it's time to seek an exotic vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1