Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency please help me!

N

new

i just got a new axotolt it's my first time rasing it [its age about 1 mounth] i'm in thailand and the temperature is very high. Even in a aircondition room[about 26 celcius and is it very dangerous] please help me what i can do or i have to buy chiller[how much is it the smallest one] . and l've been giving them pellet fish food but when it sank to the bottom they don't eat it they just eat when it drown and have to past their face but this is very hard to do so is there a way that i can make theme eat? [easy way]. I don't want to give them living things to eat and do they need light or filter because i don't have both of these and the tank very small.
i really need an advise real quick. Thank you

A

anne-marie

At one month, I did daily water changes so didn't need a filter. I don't use lights at all and it shouldn't be necessary to at that age. Try putting ice blocks in the water to lower the temp. He is probably not hungry because of the high temp. Live food is the best thing for a growing axy I believe. See if you can get microworms or black worms, which you may need to chop up, depending on your axies mouth size.

S

sharn

have a look at www.axolotl.org theres heaps of stuff on there to help you. you could put a big piece of flat rock in there and put the food on that. when he gets hungry hell go looking for it

K

kungfoi

thank you for all advise but if i use iceblock temparature will change very quickly is that fine for axolotl and i have to do very often and i don't have so much time i have to go to school and if i open my aircondition all day in thailand it will cost a lot and i want to know that 26 celcious is dangerous and what about the eating problem that i ask can you help me i really don't want to use live food because in thailand is very hot and i think they can get many disease from live food for axolotl [now i already register and sorry for poor english]

C

cynthia

kungfoi - if it is that hot there for much of the summer you will probably need to invest in a chiller. For now you could put your axolotls in the fridge until the heat wave passes.

Keep extra water in the fridge as well to change their water with, this way it will be the same temperature.

Take them out of the fridge every few days and offer them food and change their water.

Their metabolism will slow down in the fridge so they wont move around much.

You will need to find them something else to eat if they refuse the pellets you have. Dig up some earth worms.

You really should have some sort of filter and it sounds like you need a larger tank.

Please follow the link that Sharn suggested
http://www.axolotl.org
and read it for basic care information.

C

claire

if the axolotl is only a month old shouldn't it be living solely on live food??? my oldest larvae are 8 weeks and have just been moved onto bloodworm but are still eating daphnia. my larvae are developing really slowly as well so it really depends on whether he has all legs or not.

Kungfoi-does the axie have all legs yet? and how big is it???

C

cynthia

You are correct Claire - I did not see that in his first post. I read it as he had had them for a month. Sorry.

If the axolotl is only a month old it would be needing live food - daphnia or brine shrimp.

C

claire

if you get it from somewhere that has cultured them then it shouldn't have parasites or diseases.adult daphnia are best until they are big enough to eat bloodworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!