Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ensatinas

Reaction score
I just recently started keeping a group of Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis. These guys are probably my favorite Plethodontids. They stay hidden most of the time, but they aren't skittish. My group includes a gravid adult.

When I spray them down with a pressure mister, they juveniles wave their tails in the air in a defensive display, which cracks me up. :D

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I think there are 2 main reasons for these salamanders not being more popular in captivity.

1: Except for 2 subspecies, they are all from California, making it tricky for non Californian's to get a hold of any. As a californian it is illegal for me to sell a native species (there are a few snake species with special permissions) So Ensatina are safely tucked away here in California.

2: Despite the striking colors and variability within even the same ssp., Ensatina make boring captives. They have a tendency to remain under cover most of the time. They are just more sedate than say, Aneides, which are surface active some of the time and quite acrobatic because of they're climbing abilities. Even my A. flavipunctatus, which are more terrestrial and fossorial (like Ensatina) than most Aneides, will be out and about the tank or "treefrogging" it on the side of the glass at night.

They are real pretty though. I should post some pics..... it's been a while since I posted any photos to the site.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree about them being secretive. I've been keeping some Ensatina eschscholtzii platensis that I collected with a fishing license back in March. They don't hide as much as I would have thought. I will grant you they don't move around much during the day, but they are nocturnal like most salamanders. They really come alive when you put some food in there. And that long tongue is phenomenal!

Aneides

Reaction score
1: Except for 2 subspecies, they are all from California, making it tricky for non Californian's to get a hold of any. As a californian it is illegal for me to sell a native species (there are a few snake species with special permissions) So Ensatina are safely tucked away here in California.

Actually, that would be 4 subspecies; picta and oregonensis in Oregon, and eschscholtzii and klauberi in Baja California Norte. Probably not the most important deal in the world, but just trying to make a point!

They are not secretive at all, in my opinion. I've had Ensatina come out to investigate whenever their lids' open. They are pretty temperature-sensitive, but I've had major temperature fluctuations at my "Herp House", and all have specimens have survived. I've seen more sensitivity in northern subspecies and subspecies that occur at higher elevations. My oregonensis tend to do worse than other ssp. when the temperature exceeds 70 F, which should never happen. Also, I've seen platensis show obvious signs of stress during even the slightest of droughts.

StanleyC, actually the bay area contains three varieties (not ssp.) In the East Bay (Alameda, Santa Clara, and Contra Costa counties) you will find 'pure' xanthoptica (non-intergrades). On the extreme west rim of the Santa Cruz Mtns. (from Morgan Hill to east San Francisco), you can also find 'pure' xanthoptica. In the northwestern portion of the SC Mtns., you can find xanthoptica, oregonensis, and xanthoptica/oregonensis intergrades. In the southwestern portion, you can find xanthoptica, eschscholtzii, and intergrades. In the Davenport (this might be too specific for this forum, remove if needed) area of the SC Mtns, you can find a mixed population (xanthoptica, oregonensis, eschscholtzii, all intergrades).

"insituexstu", I can give you a basic rundown of the captive requirements of all the subspecies;

Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis;
This subspecies inhabits northwestern California, western Oregon and Washington, and southwestern British Columbia. The main key is to keep cool and humid climates, and to be able to provide an adequete hibernation setup (as with all Ensatina).

Ensatina eschscholtzii picta;
This subspecies inhabits extreme NW California, and extreme SW Oregon. The range may be extended further north though, read my post ("Range Extensions in Southwestern Oregon"). Same requirements as above.

Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica;
Found in SF Bay Area and a sliver of the parallel Sierra Mtns. Can tolerate higher temperatures than northern ssp.

Ensatina eschscholtzii eschscholtzii;
Found from central Monterey County to Baja California Norte. Can tolerate some temperature fluctuations and some dry periods (not necessarily droughts)

Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi;
Found on several mountain ranges in the San Diego area. Can tolerate some dry temperatures, but again, they are found on mountains with seasonal snowfall.

Ensatina eschscholtzii croceater;
Found in the extreme south Sierras, in Kern County. I've never kept this ssp., but I'd imagine that they would like conditions similar to klauberi.

Ensatina eschscholtzii platensis;
Found throughout the Sierras. Enjoy a climate similar to klauberi.

Hope this helps. The Staniszewski caresheet is very good for reference. I've found that ssp. do best when you try to match the natural climate of the animal.

Aneides

Aneides

matamander

Reaction score
Hope it's cool that I'm bringing up an old thread... I've always been enamored by these guys, but lived no where close to them. This past summer I traveled to the west coast and saw 4 out of the 7 subspecies and became even more enamored!

I've been checking out a couple of ensatina threads seeing the legality of keeping them (out of state) and I've seen conflicting responses. Does anyone that keep the Cali subspecies live outside of California?

Thanks!!

oam253

Reaction score
I have kept some Oregon Ensantina they are pretty easy if you can meet temperature and moisture requirement

sde

Reaction score
Hope it's cool that I'm bringing up an old thread... I've always been enamored by these guys, but lived no where close to them. This past summer I traveled to the west coast and saw 4 out of the 7 subspecies and became even more enamored!

I've been checking out a couple of ensatina threads seeing the legality of keeping them (out of state) and I've seen conflicting responses. Does anyone that keep the Cali subspecies live outside of California?

Thanks!!

You can collect them with a valid fishing license ( in your case a non resident fishing license ). However, they have to be legal in your state as well. As far as I have seen California is the ONLY state where you can legally collect them, it is illegal in both Oregon and Washington. No permits or licenses are offered to the general public to attain them in Washington.
In your state ( Virginia ) it looks like they are legal to keep, but investigate for yourself before transporting them, if you ever decide to.
I don't keep any California subspecies, but I legally could. Here is the current regulations.

(a) Only the following amphibians may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. No amphibians may be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.
(b) Limit: The limit for each of the species listed below is four, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit.
(1) Pacific giant salamander
[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Dicamptodon tenebrosus)
[/FONT][/FONT] (2) Rough-skinned newt [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Taricha granulosa)
[/FONT][/FONT] (3) Northwestern salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Ambystoma gracile)
[/FONT][/FONT] (4) Black salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Aneides flavipunctatus): [/FONT][/FONT]See Special Closure (f)(1)
(5) Clouded salamander
[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Aneides ferreus)
[/FONT][/FONT] (6) Arboreal salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Aneides lugubris)
[/FONT][/FONT] (7) California slender salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Batrachoseps attenuatus)
[/FONT][/FONT] (8) Pacific slender salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Batrachoseps pacificus)
[/FONT][/FONT] (9) Dunn’s salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Plethodon dunni)
[/FONT][/FONT] (10) Ensatina salamander [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Ensatina eschscholtzii)
[/FONT][/FONT] (11) Western toad [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Bufo boreas)
[/FONT][/FONT] (12) Woodhouse’s toad [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Bufo woodhouseii)
[/FONT][/FONT] (13) Red-spotted toad [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Bufo punctatus)
[/FONT][/FONT] (14) Great Plains toad [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Bufo cognatus)
[/FONT][/FONT] (15) Great Basin spadefoot toad [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Spea (Scaphiopus) intermontana)
[/FONT][/FONT] (16) California chorus frog [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Pseudacris (Hyla) cadaverina)
[/FONT][/FONT] (17) Pacific chorus frog [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Pseudacris (Hyla) regilla)
[/FONT][/FONT] (18) Southern leopard frog [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Rana Lithobates) sphenocephalus): [/FONT][/FONT]Limit: No limit.
(19) Rio Grande leopard frog
[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro](Rana (Lithobates) berlandieri): [/FONT][/FONT]Limit: No limit.
[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro] (20) Bullfrog (Rana (Lithobates) catesbeiana): [/FONT][/FONT]Limit: No limit.

Hope this helps! -Seth
[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Kauveh

Reaction score
I keep one Oregon ensatina. They do not need lots of water or water to swim in but need some spraying maybe every 4 days. I give mine small crickets but it eats them in the middle of the night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1