Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ensuring they are eating?

D

denise

Hi, I now have my three firebelly toads and today is the first day I have to feed them some crickets.

How do I know if each toad gets his fair share of crickets? Should I be putting in more crickets than what I expect them to eat to ensure that one toad doesn't eat a whole bunch while another toad doesn't get any at all?

K

kaysie

Put them each in separate corners, throw down some crickets in front of each of them. Or you can hand feed them. Thats how I ensure everyone gets some.

D

denise

They are very skittish toads and I've read in many places that I should not be touching these toads.

Also, how do you go about hand feeding?

K

kaysie

Wash your hands well, hold the food in front of them until they snap at it.

Normally, you shouldnt touch them, but some handling is required on occasion. But you shouldnt get them out just to play with them or anything.

S

summer

hi, ok i'm summer and i have 6 fbt. when i handle my toads i wash my hands before and after. i hold my fbt. the only time i don't touch them is if they are eating cas' that is when there posion comes out. even some places say thats not true but it truly is. when i feed mine i put them in my crickets cage one at a time and when they all get 2 or 3 crickets i put them back in their tank. that way they wont eat a rock or i will know they really ate. if u have any ? please email me at this add. frogloverslt@aol.com
thanks
summer

S

shawn

fbt's are awesome i have a pair and they love eating crickets and have gotten to the point where when i walk near the tank no matter where they are they come to the front spot where i feed them. they readily eat worms and crickets out of my hand and allow me to handle them when needed. the male is so doscile as far as handling is concerned he will actually walk into my hand if i place it in front of him and he will do it willingly, he has never tried to get away when holding him just likes to hang out. only time i generally handle my fbt's is when im letting my lil brother feed them
happy.gif
hes 5 and cant really reach into the tank so he feeds them crickets and worms while i hold em and they love it. i hope your raising of fbts goes well they are awesome amphibs.
Wolfie

A

ajfr0ggy

"i hold my fbt. the only time i don't touch them is if they are eating cas' that is when there posion comes out. even some places say thats not true but it truly is"

Sorry, but i do not agree at all with this. The whole point they have poison is to prevent animals eating them. It is not venom at all. The poison covers the skin at all times i think, and is secreted mainly when the animal is distressed. Some firebellies would tollerate handling, but they get no pleasure from human interaction. If handling is nessassery, make sure you wash your hands thouroughly with clean water, as natural chemicals produced by your skin, and soaps ect, are dangerous for amphibians. Firebellied toads dehydrate quickly, so be careful about that.

AJf0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!