Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Entire Gill Burning off, please help!

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
I got arp the axolotl 4-5 days ago from a pet shop. She is a pretty small baby axolotl. She eats, poops, and swims around a lot. But, when I got her there was a little white spot on her gill. I asked the lady if this was norma, and she said it was. Then, after a day or so, her gill started to disappear. What should I do? Should I ask for a swap of axolotl from the pet shop or should I try and help her?
(The photos are Arp the Axolotl)

Attachments

• 245445EC-7E91-4AA5-A014-84730B21824E.jpeg
    245445EC-7E91-4AA5-A014-84730B21824E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 218
  • 1FF23892-2B70-4AFB-B34F-D3C14088A4F0.jpeg
    1FF23892-2B70-4AFB-B34F-D3C14088A4F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 130

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I got arp the axolotl 4-5 days ago from a pet shop. She is a pretty small baby axolotl. She eats, poops, and swims around a lot. But, when I got her there was a little white spot on her gill. I asked the lady if this was norma, and she said it was. Then, after a day or so, her gill started to disappear. What should I do? Should I ask for a swap of axolotl from the pet shop or should I try and help her?
(The photos are Arp the Axolotl)
ok couple things:
1) remove that gravel immediately. They can and will eat it and it can be lethal.
2) What are you water parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH?
3) what kind of water conditioner/dechlorinator are you using?
4) this white spot you are describing, was is fuzzy looking?

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
ok couple things:
1) remove that gravel immediately. They can and will eat it and it can be lethal.
The gravel has been removed a few days ago, I don’t have water level measurers but am planning on getting some soon. I use tank water ice cubes to keep the water cool. And the white spot wasn‘t fuzzy. It dissapeared for a day, and then came back. It left yet again, but this time for 2 days. It hasn’t come back yet. I also use deer park drinking water for her daily water changes.
Shes living in a smaller tank whilst recovering. I’m not sure if she is recovering or not, but she’s still energetic and eating well.
She eats in a feeding tank, which I clean every time before and after feeding her. She also eats cocktail shrimp, which im thinking about if it affects her aswell.
But heres a photo of her right now.

Attachments

• 9DCB8CC6-5018-4CB3-8DFA-92C428870993.jpeg
    9DCB8CC6-5018-4CB3-8DFA-92C428870993.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 108

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
ok couple things:
Here’s also is her eating

Attachments

• 1BAD60C3-B053-425D-968E-4163CC95911F.jpeg
    1BAD60C3-B053-425D-968E-4163CC95911F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
The gravel has been removed a few days ago, I don’t have water level measurers but am planning on getting some soon. I use tank water ice cubes to keep the water cool. And the white spot wasn‘t fuzzy. It dissapeared for a day, and then came back. It left yet again, but this time for 2 days. It hasn’t come back yet. I also use deer park drinking water for her daily water changes.
Shes living in a smaller tank whilst recovering. I’m not sure if she is recovering or not, but she’s still energetic and eating well.
She eats in a feeding tank, which I clean every time before and after feeding her. She also eats cocktail shrimp, which im thinking about if it affects her aswell.
Get a liquid test kit asap. The API freshwater master kit is a good one and easy to find. you should be testing your water several times a week, especially at the beginning until your tank is cycled. shrimp is not really an appropriate food for her. Earthworms, either red wigglers or european nightcralwers, are best. Since you are in the US, i suggest ordering from uncle Jim's worm farm. Red wigglers will probably be the best size for her now, but eventually european nightcrawlers will be the better (they're just very big). You can also supplement with repashy grub pie and soft sinking pellets.

Her gills are definitely in poor shape on that side. I'm suspect of maybe a fungal issue though I cant see anything obvious in the photos. Tea baths are a simple, effective way to treat many different minor ailments. Black tea contains tannins that provide natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. It can also help soothe abrasions or minor injuries. Just brew one bag of plain black tea in a cup of boiling water for about 5 mins. I use tazo english breakfast tea, but any plain black tea will work. Just make sure there are no spices in the ingredients. after brewing, dilute the tea in cold water until it is a light amber color. She can stay in that overnight with no problem, or just several hours during the day. repeat daily or every other day (with a new tea solution) for 3-4 treatments and see if she improves at all.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Get a liquid test kit asap. The API freshwater master kit is a good one and easy to find. you should be testing your water several times a week, especially at the beginning until your tank is cycled. shrimp is not really an appropriate food for her. Earthworms, either red wigglers or european nightcralwers, are best. Since you are in the US, i suggest ordering from uncle Jim's worm farm. Red wigglers will probably be the best size for her now, but eventually european nightcrawlers will be the better (they're just very big). You can also supplement with repashy grub pie and soft sinking pellets.

Her gills are definitely in poor shape on that side. I'm suspect of maybe a fungal issue though I cant see anything obvious in the photos. Tea baths are a simple, effective way to treat many different minor ailments. Black tea contains tannins that provide natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. It can also help soothe abrasions or minor injuries. Just brew one bag of plain black tea in a cup of boiling water for about 5 mins. I use tazo english breakfast tea, but any plain black tea will work. Just make sure there are no spices in the ingredients. after brewing, dilute the tea in cold water until it is a light amber color. She can stay in that overnight with no problem, or just several hours during the day. repeat daily or every other day (with a new tea solution) for 3-4 treatments and see if she improves at all.
Thank you! Ill get those things for her immediately.
Her size is 3 inches just if you wanted to know.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score

Also, are axolotls allowed to Eat Earthworms from a garden? Or is it not healthy for them to eat those.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Also, are axolotls allowed to Eat Earthworms from a garden? Or is it not healthy for them to eat those.
Here’s a better picture I hope it helps

Attachments

• E1E1DF1D-0D98-4266-8733-80E901E3CEC4.jpeg
    E1E1DF1D-0D98-4266-8733-80E901E3CEC4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114

AMurry24537

Reaction score
The risk in that is that you or your neighbors may use pesticides or fertilizers that the worms absorb and which can then be transferred to your axolotl.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
AMurry24537 is correct. If your neighbors are using any chemicals in their garden, it could contaminate the worm population. You are better off purchasing them from a reputable source that breeds them without the use of chemicals.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Thank you guys so so much!! Arp has gotten better, she’s grown about half an inch+. In the photo below you can see really small gill growth!! I am so happy, and I can’t thank you guys enough for helping me out!!!
Water has been tested, and is good/safe
By the way, Do your axolotls shake there head when they dont want food?
p.s. Sorry for bad quality

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • 3B93229F-7D56-4D70-BB72-8D220D0474AF.jpeg
    3B93229F-7D56-4D70-BB72-8D220D0474AF.jpeg
    771.2 KB · Views: 108

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Thank you guys so so much!! Arp has gotten better, she’s grown about half an inch+. In the photo below you can see really small gill growth!! I am so happy, and I can’t thank you guys enough for helping me out!!!
Water has been tested, and is good/safe
By the way, Do your axolotls shake there head when they dont want food?
p.s. Sorry for bad quality
glad she is doing better and her gills are starting to grow back.

I have one male that will shake his head and back away really fast if he doesn't want food. I refer to him as my fussy toddler.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
glad she is doing better and her gills are starting to grow back.

I have one male that will shake his head and back away really fast if he doesn't want food. I refer to him as my fussy toddler.
So I’m guessing after that you don’t feed him anymore? Or do you continue to feed him? Just Curious

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
never apologize for asking questions, its the only way you learn. ask away :)
Thank you! Many people say that I’m annoying when I ask so many questions, so I just wanted to let you know I’m not trying to be annoying. Also, when axolotls develop teeth do they tend to chew on like nothing? Cause Arp was like chewing nothing and I just want to know if its normal.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Thank you! Many people say that I’m annoying when I ask so many questions, so I just wanted to let you know I’m not trying to be annoying. Also, when axolotls develop teeth do they tend to chew on like nothing? Cause Arp was like chewing nothing and I just want to know if its normal.
Axolotls don't really "develop teeth". They naturally have very rudimentary teeth, more little little ridges, that allow them to grip and manipulate their food around. They don't really chew things. if he does it again, try to get a video of it. It's hard for me to say what he's doing without seeing it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!