Envirothon Madness

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, after a long hiatus from salamandering due to a lack of success and trying to market my new book, I was back at it this week as I traveled with my fellow High School Envirothon teammates up to the scenic Traverse City area of Michigan. After staying the first night in cabins, I had bagged a Green Frog from a little pool in the mixed woodland hills, but more fun was to come. A steady thunderstorm rolled through the area that night and in the morning, making conditions ideal for finding my first salamander of the year--an Eastern Red-Backed, with my best friend Allen that morning under a beech log. Later in the day, skies cleared, but the herping only got better. After taking the grassland test, Allen and I found a Blue Racer under a piece of old tin in a small valley, and yelled as we shunted tire and tin about the hill in an effort to capture it, thus showing my teammates just how crazy this normally even-keeled politico and guitarist can get given some herps. One member of our team hilariously remarked, "I had never seen Nathan kick into gear like that; it was like he was ahead of his own feet." Indeed I was. All in all, with 3rd in the state under our belts and some refreshing herping under mine, not a bad little adventure. Pics available on the miherpatlas.org by putting my name (Richendollar, Nathan) into the "recorded by" box, and all comments welcome.

Fair enough, I just wanted to attach the pictures this morning. Here they are.

Attachments

• envirothon 2014 008.jpg
    envirothon 2014 008.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 231
  • envirothon 2014 009.jpg
    envirothon 2014 009.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 198
  • envirothon 2014 013.jpg
    envirothon 2014 013.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 199
  • envirothon 2014 002.jpg
    envirothon 2014 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 188
  • envirothon 2014 010.jpg
    envirothon 2014 010.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 186
Cool finds!

Wow! I wish the Washington herp atlas was like that, where you can record what you find, but its not. Sounds like a blast of fun though. -Seth

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that a state like Washington famed for its environmental protection would not be able to best Michigan in a herp atlas, but thanks for the compliments, and, yes, it was a blast. Glad you enjoyed the pics!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back