Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eradicating duckweed (Lemna minor)

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Splitting hairs are we? ;)

But thanks for the correction!

But the take home message is. Reducing nitrogen is not going to stop azolla the way it might phase duckweed.

grunsven

Reaction score
Adding Azolla to fight lemna does not sound like the smart thing to do.
Have you ever measured nitrogen and phosphorus in your pond?

JWERNER

Reaction score
Just start mailing it to me!;)

I would look into the placement of the pond itself. I can use duckweed in the terraium and it is nitrate lack do to the other plants in the tank but since it is in direct light it wll still grow regardless of the lack in nutrients.

If you look some ponds just get hit hard no mater what and some just dont at all. In most cases the ones that have no shade at all are the ones to get nailed by the duckweed the most.

TristanH

Reaction score
Hi,

In my experience, the only practical way to control duckweed is by netting. Fish and ducks are a non-starter with amphibians, as are herbicides. They also increase nutrient levels. Covering the pond basically involves starting again and again will cause deoxygenation and release of nutrients (much the same effect as the duckweed really).

That's the bad news. The good news is that it IS possible to get rid of duckweed by assiduous and frequent netting - but like any invasive plant, don't let quantities build up. And net the pond in autumn to intercept falling leaves.

A healthy community of pond plants will help to absorb the nutrients on which duckweeds thrive. In particular, rooted species such as pondweeds, milfoils and water lilies are good. Free-floating plants that are much easier to control include water-soldier (Stratiotes) and frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae). I have some spare if you need any (all UK native) - pm me if interested.

Tristan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1