Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eradicating duckweed

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have a problem with duckweed (Lemna minor) in one garden pond, and I am worried that it will soon become a problem in my new pond. Is there any way to get rid of it entirely from a pond - I net it off, but loads of it gets stuck around the emergent plants? I have looked on the web and the two options that are possible for me are introducing fish such as koi, or using herbicides. Neither of these appeal to me as both pools are amphibian ponds (Rana temporaria, Lisotriton vulgaris), and both fish and herbicides would have a massive impact amphib populations.

The only thing i could think of was to introduce the fish in late summer, sacrifice a year's breeding season and remove the fish once the duckweed is gone. The only problem with this is that both ponds are quite shallow and the fish probably wouldn't be able to get to all the duckweed to eat it all.

I suspect that I will just have to keep on netting, but any tips would be very gratefully received!

Cheers

Chris

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The more turbulence or water circulation their is the harder it is for duckweed to grow. Air stones, water pumps, etc will slow it down. Introducing some aquatic shrimp might also knock it down a little.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1